just came in for the evening....

Plymouthy Adams

I get a little anal about the fry pans. I have 2 Empire steel from the 1800's. I cook on them daily and have for years. Only fry pan I own.

I would not put them through the dishwasher. And same time, I am the dishwasher.

But if I had a dishwasher, everything else could go in it .... not my fry pans  ?

image.png.69996c842f60b3b9a5ef1b2fe88a3979.png

• Like 3

I bought one of those wonderful non-stick frying pans once, so that I would no longer be one of those klutzes who couldn't fry an egg without it sticking and making a mess. 

(There is a large Klutz family that appers in the various ads, demonstrating their difficulties with the simplest of challenges.)  

Anyway, the frying pan package said diswasher safe, but the instructions said, not only wash by hand, but work in a coat of cooking oil.  Huh?  But the new ones are really, really, really dishwasher safe.

My operating premise is that, if it is advertised on TV, the actual product will fall short of its claims.  And any day now, Silver! will jump 200 percent!  Hang on!  

Also the no-stick pans require you to use plastic cooking utensils, so you do not scratch the surface.

I loved my old cast iron set, my wife complained about them because of the weight. I found the older steel pans, they are lighter and makes the wife happy :D and the care is the same as cast iron.

I usually do all the cooking anyways. When I was working my wife did, we ate hamburger helper and canned spaghetti etc...

I cook a lot on the grill while working in the shop, yesterday was pork ribs, smoking on low, I just add a small amount of charcoal to keep the heat low, air turned down so it smokes. The ribs are in a pan in a sauce that I make and covered with foil.

Nothing burning and cooking for about 6 hours. I went to the grocery store and then stopped by and had the wifes car inspected for registration renewal.

Can always toss on a potato and let it bake, when am done in the shop, wash up and make a side dish and dinner is ready.

Local grocery sells local butcher pork roast. They are about 20 pounds, I cut it down into 2" steaks and freeze it, and eat all month off of it.

Cook them on the grill same way, same as chicken. I enjoy cooking, I make a mean shrimp dish and have fish at least once a week.

I'd get the missus cast iron or steel skillets, but she'd probably use them against me.  As in upside my noggin...  (She says they only work best on gas stoves, which we've never had.)

18 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

I've learned I can pretty much screw up whatever the wife didn't want me to do, so now, I pretty much stick to the garage, and leave her stuff alone in the kitchen. ?

Smart man. Never awaken a sleeping bear.

Teflon pans allow me to flip fried eggs and omelettes without a spatula. A little flick of the wrist and everything flips over real nicely and keeps its shape. No mess when you can do it right. 

Working at Ihop back in the 80’s as a teenager in highschool, flipping thousands of eggs a weekend, I mastered this skill. One handed cracking, an egg in each hand. No problem. 1 fry pan in each hand flipping hot eggs. No probelm. Lol. Skills I actually am good at. Pretty well useless, but hey once in 35 years I have bragging rights. ?

Cast iton skillet? Not sure I can pull it off. 

Edited by keithb7