Nut and Bolt sizes info on 38 DeSoto 25'' engine

I want to get new nuts and bolts to rebuild my 38 DeSoto 25'' engine  How do I check the size and thread count of the bolts/nuts that are needed to rebuild my flathead six?  Are these bolts any different than the bolts made now days? Obviously I'm new this, but I have many sizes of bolts etc. from the tear down of my truck. and I don't really want to use the old ones.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Fran

Hi Fran, welcome go the group! 

Might I ask, is there a reason you don't want to use the original fasteners? If youre concerned about dirt, I soaked mine in jars of mineral spirits to shed all the crap from the years. 

That said, if you really want new hardware across the board it's all SAE stuff. Head bolts are kinda special, and there's a lot of different trains of thought on them. I reused mine, some people do studs, and some go to grade 8 bolts. I'd suggest something meant to be a head bolt, hence why I reused mine. 

Rod bolts are unique to my knowledge, so don't lose em or their washers & nuts. Same goes for the lifter covers. Probably something else I'm forgetting too