Before I purchase this...can I get any insight...

Hi Pilothouse Fans

I have sold all my old trucks and cars and Willys Jeeps to this past year...I have been looking for another project to tinker with...I found this one on the HAMB sorta...the fellow had sold one and this one he was going to sell...so I am getting first dibs on it. He swapped out the flathead and the original transmission and put a drivetrain out of a 1990 2 wheel drive service Jeep. He says it starts hard (vacuum leak maybe??)...so it has a more modern running gear complete with a 5 speed and the Jeep rear end is also in it...he doesn't want a ton of dough for it but it isn't dirt cheap either...it is over a 1000 miles from my place so I would be buying it site unseen...other than pictures...

So I humbly ask for any insight as to would this be a good deal or not?...

MikeC

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

engine.jpg

price price price...condition condition condition- location location location....wow you have a very loaded question here....one that would be very hard to answer overall.....how much of a desire do you have to own this in the given condition per pics and description and how experienced are you in the troubleshoot/repair of the modern EFI and controls.  At what level do you think the work was completed and how SAFE will it be not to mention reliable.    I will not take a whack at anyone's workmanship...just want to advise you that a up close in person inspection is warranted in this case.  At worse you walk away after a drive out of town.  I would if serious request what I refer to as a FIRST REFUSAL in that if the vehicle is as advertised and I arrive on my scheduled view date as stated in my gentleman's agreement, I will either purchase or refuse based on inspection in person.    Anyone that far away, knowing you are  in route should never have a problem with this type arrangement.  

The shift lever is unique!   That era Jeep engine is excellent IMO.  Looks like he also converted to suspended pedals, late radiator etc.  Depending on the quality of the work that may be a very reliable daily driver.  the body does show some life experiences though.

As Plymouthy says, price and the results of a close inspection determine the value.

Maybe someone on the forum is close by and would be willing to offer eyes and ears, test drive, etc. That is a great engine - did he say how many miles on the original service Jeep?  Someone did a lot of work making it all fit - fire wall set back, hanging clutch and brake pedals, radiator. The question is, did they do it right? Pictures of the drive train would be helpful, but a test drive would tell a lot more.

From the photos the wheelbase appears different - was there a complete swap including frame?

That truck has been for sale for months. I honestly debated on taking a road trip to go look at it, but in the end decided it was too far away with too much potential for being cobbled together - but I haven not seen it in person nor have I seen enough pictures to know for sure.

If done correctly and if everything is in good working order - that would make a great driver. I would want a lot of pictures of the fabrication work before making the journey to look at it closer - I would also plan on some serious wiring cleanup. Battery terminals are not power distribution points (although we have all run a wire or two from them - I count at least 7 or 8 wires other than the main positive cable coming off the positive terminal).

• Thanks 1

The reference to how familiar are you with troubleshoot and repair as the does not seem to be a factory power distribution box for that particular model year.   In this style setup, we  have fuses feeding fuses and when bypassed and all same color wiring....going to get a bit involved not knowing exactly what the PO has done.    This is also an OBD1 system ,  hopefully he has integrated the circuit (CEL) to monitor this system and garner the failure codes.   It is possible he has a schematic drawn of his altered donor harness, do ask of this for certain.  He may even have the book on the donor and would be an asset the new owner for certain.

• Like 1

I agree with the above comments, I would thoroughly check everything out before putting any money down - could  possibly turn out to be a dog's breakfast for the next owner...

2 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

That truck has been for sale for months. I honestly debated on taking a road trip to go look at it, but in the end decided it was too far away with too much potential for being cobbled together - but I haven not seen it in person nor have I seen enough pictures to know for sure.

If done correctly and if everything is in good working order - that would make a great driver. I would want a lot of pictures of the fabrication work before making the journey to look at it closer - I would also plan on some serious wiring cleanup. Battery terminals are not power distribution points (although we have all run a wire or two from them - I count at least 7 or 8 wires other than the main positive cable coming off the positive terminal).

Boy Hot Rod Tractor you caught all those wires coming off the main battery terminal....I did not see them...even after staring at these pictures for quiet a while too...I would need a wiring schematic for the original Jeep Cherokee to make things right...

The truck is from the Ironwood Michigan area...he is asking $4500.00 for it....And we are over 1000 miles to the East of him...

I am going to have to sleep on it for sure...yes if anybody is out in that would want to go look at it...I would gladly pay you for your time....

What caught my eye is the 5 speed and the disc brakes and modern Jeep motor in it...the wiring is not looking all that nice tho...the more I look at it...

Thanks for all the insight...

MikeC

3 hours ago, Mikec4193 said:

Boy Hot Rod Tractor you caught all those wires coming off the main battery terminal....I did not see them...even after staring at these pictures for quiet a while too...I would need a wiring schematic for the original Jeep Cherokee to make things right...

The truck is from the Ironwood Michigan area...he is asking $4500.00 for it....And we are over 1000 miles to the East of him...

I am going to have to sleep on it for sure...yes if anybody is out in that would want to go look at it...I would gladly pay you for your time....

What caught my eye is the 5 speed and the disc brakes and modern Jeep motor in it...the wiring is not looking all that nice tho...the more I look at it...

MikeC

Well, since you asked for my opinion........ I'd say it is definitely worth looking into more seriously. That price doesn't seem too bad, in the ball park, anyway; the appearance is okay, the upgrades wouldn't worry me, other than what has already been mentioned about the wiring. He should be able to send you a video of it running on the road; that should help. ?

I forgot to mention, I recently bought a 62 year old car that was over 1,000 miles away; didn't see it in person, just saw several dozen pix from every possible angle, and watched a walk around video of it running (not on the road though), and talked to the mechanic who worked on the car for several years for the owner. I felt comfortable I knew what I was getting, so had it shipped to me. When it was off loaded from the transport trailer, it was what I thought it would be, no surprises. Sometimes, you've just gotta trust your instincts. ?

5 hours ago, Mikec4193 said:

MikeC

To be fair I've looked at the ad for that truck a few different times over the last 6 months. I think the price is OK if the work is decent. If the work isn't.... then its a complete do over. Wiring doesn't generally bother me.... but from what I see - I would strongly consider it a wiring project going into it. Take that for what its worth.  I'm a bit closer than you to it (central Ohio) and I haven't brought myself up to looking at it.

I have a 6 cylinder Jeep engine, and they have good horse power rating. I think you could to better. I bought mine cheap as a roll over. Unfortunately mine is a 4 wheel drive automatic with broken right side axles, front and rear. Are you looking for a car or truck to get back into your passion of a driver.

Ironwood, MI is about 225 miles north of me. (3-1/2 to 4 hour drive) I don't know of any other active members that are any closer.

@Mikec4193 Are you on the Facebook Pilot-House group? I believe there are some members on there that are up in northern Wisconsin. Eagle River, or Ashland area. They would be a little closer to go have a look for you, if they would be willing.

No matter who looks at the truck for you it still might not be what you had in mind.  It might be fine in the view of the "looker" but that is not you.

The price may be ok but it has been for sale for quite a while.  The market has spoken in that it is too much money for what it is.  If you think you really want it go look at it yourself.  Bring a trailer and cash and be prepared to walk away.  There must be a reason, or three, that the truck is still sitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Merle

Yes I am on the Dodge Pilothouse Era Truck Club facebook page...I will reach out and see if any of them could break free and go take a look at it...I never thought about that end of things...thanks for the thought...

MikeC

13 minutes ago, Mikec4193 said:

Hi Merle

Yes I am on the Dodge Pilothouse Era Truck Club facebook page...I will reach out and see if any of them could break free and go take a look at it...I never thought about that end of things...thanks for the thought...

MikeC

and what happens if that person says, Hey, I like this, I just got to have it?   ?

I had that happen years ago when I advertised a Yamaha VMax for sale.  I had a call from a guy that said he wanted to come see the bike and that he was going to meet his friend and motorcycle mechanic at my house.  The mechanic showed up right on time but the prospective buyer did not.  The mechanic wanted to buy the motorcycle so we waited about an hour with no sign of the buyer.  This was before cell phones so we could not call him.  After an hour had elapsed I sold the bike to the mechanic who had the cash and away he went.  The original buyer showed up about 3 hours later and was told what happened.  He was less than impressed.

I often wondered if they were still friends.

My brother needed a car, he told me about a car that he was going to go look at after work the next day.

I went and looked at it while he was at work ... some sort of 1963 chrysler 4 door in really nice shape for $50. Needed a $5 part to drive it.

I figured if my brother did not want it, I would fix and flip it myself. Just did not want to go back later with my brother and find it sold.

When my brother got home from work and saw me working on the car in the driveway,  I just kinda assumed he knew it was his car.

I was telling him all about the great deal it was, how I fixed it and was working on this and that, Think I was 18 years old then.

My older brother was getting pissed off, I had to run and get away from him, let him cool down so I could tell him I bought the car for him and not me.

All worked out in the end, but will never forget that time  :D

• Like 1

Quick look.  If you were to buy it, you best be very gifted at sheet metal fabrication or you better have a real good boneyard to find the damaged pieces of that grille - or you better be ready to pay about 1/4 of what he is asking for the truck for them.  I noticed the back wheels are too far forward, which makes me think it is sitting on the jeep frame.  I also noticed the back fenders are welded to the bedsides...makes you wonder why.  Take a good look at the profile - the "nose" of the truck looks elevated (that could just be my uncalibrated eyes) and the hood does not sit right (that is visually correct).  Once again, probably a frame swap or the radiator support was cut up and now the nose is too high, the hood is not correctly anchored and the hood wings cannot close correctly. 

I am not a fabricator or a body man, and as much as I like these old trucks, I would keep looking.

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and what happens if that person says, Hey, I like this, I just got to have it?   ?

Hi Plymouthy Adams...I was thinking about that too and I guess if it happens that way then I guess it was not meant to be parked in my garage...I try not to get too attached to vehicles...

14 minutes ago, Bobacuda said:

Quick look.  If you were to buy it, you best be very gifted at sheet metal fabrication or you better have a real good boneyard to find the damaged pieces of that grille - or you better be ready to pay about 1/4 of what he is asking for the truck for them.  I noticed the back wheels are too far forward, which makes me think it is sitting on the jeep frame.  I also noticed the back fenders are welded to the bedsides...makes you wonder why.  Take a good look at the profile - the "nose" of the truck looks elevated (that could just be my uncalibrated eyes) and the hood does not sit right (that is visually correct).  Once again, probably a frame swap or the radiator support was cut up and now the nose is too high, the hood is not correctly anchored and the hood wings cannot close correctly. 

I am not a fabricator or a body man, and as much as I like these old trucks, I would keep looking.

Oh my gosh Bobacuda....I was looking at those pictures again and I did see the whole stance looks off for sure....the rear end is not mounted correctly and he did tell me the fenders were welded on before he got it...I did notice the crunched front grille and the one marker light is crushed on the passenger side...I might be really opening up a can of worms...only time will tell...

thanks for all the extra eyes on this hot rod...I really really appreciate it...

MikeC