Cool P15 Photo

hkestes41

Nice picture.  The NYPD kept the tri-tone green, white, and black paint color scheme until 1972 when they went over to a blue lower body with white roof.

I've seen pictures of 1950 Plymouth NYPD squad cars (they used a lot of business coupes) and have always wondered if they used any '51-'52 Plymouths. 

20 minutes ago, woodrow said:

the bumpers on the P15 cars have a 3rd bumperette in the center.  Early push bar concept I guess 

That was an option. My car had it too. Anyone know where the plate went with the center bumper guard?

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

That was an option. My car had it too. Anyone know where the plate went with the center bumper guard?

the police cars pictured have them mounted on the grill behind the passenger side bumperette.  not sure if that is the location after the optional  bumperette has been added or just where it was located for those police cars. I'd think it was the former not the latter. surprised tho, that back then the police force went with the special deluxe model with the chrome and additional bumperette  and other things over the cheaper, chromeless deluxe model. 

7 hours ago, woodrow said:

the police cars pictured have them mounted on the grill behind the passenger side bumperette.  not sure if that is the location after the optional  bumperette has been added or just where it was located for those police cars. I'd think it was the former not the latter. surprised tho, that back then the police force went with the special deluxe model with the chrome and additional bumperette  and other things over the cheaper, chromeless deluxe model. 

Remember post war it was tough to get anything. You'd think a police department would have a little more leverage but they might have taken what was available

11 hours ago, T120 said:

I like the International truck as well...

the IHC K series were a sharp design with the double roll nose and double roll on the hood.....this base design was released mid year 1940(K) -46      The 47-49(KB)  got wings added to the grille and was in my eye a detractor and not an enhancer....

9 hours ago, greg g said:

What is the car behind the middle patrol car?

My guess on this car is a 1942 Studebaker, possibly a Commander. In the 1948 film "Naked City", the police use a Studebaker of this year. Very rare today.

John R

1942 studebaker.jpg

• Like 2

Robin (UK),

Great photos!!! I love looking at photos my dad took of his ship-board adventures during WWII. As for where the front license plate was positioned with the presence of the center bumper guard, the initial photo answers that question. I mention that because our “46 Special DeLuxe Club Coupe has a bracket mounted on the front splash pan in that same position, which makes me wonder if our car once “served and protected” somewhere in its past. Hmmmmm . . . . . Thx.

4 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Robin (UK),

Great photos!!! I love looking at photos my dad took of his ship-board adventures during WWII. As for where the front license plate was positioned with the presence of the center bumper guard, the initial photo answers that question. I mention that because our “46 Special DeLuxe Club Coupe has a bracket mounted on the front splash pan in that same position, which makes me wonder if our car once “served and protected” somewhere in its past. Hmmmmm . . . . . Thx.

not sure that photo proves out that is where the plate always was with the center guard. My coupe had the center guard but no holes at all in the splash pan for that offset mount

In the US, many states during and after the war issued only one plate due to metal conservation restrictions.  Front liscence holders might have been dealer installed pieces again to conserve metal.  Why put one on every car at the factory I'd you didn't know where the car was going?