Suspension components

RUST OR BUST

I know there is alot of debate about frame swaps, suspension upgrades, etc. etc. on the D24 coupes.

I see you can buy reasonable rebuild kits on ebay now.

Will the stock suspension handle a 440? A disc brake upgrade will be a must. 

Anything else i should consider?

the suspension can handle the weight of the 440 and with normal driving you should not see any drastic handling issues with a good rebuilt front suspension in place.  Other than the king pins, this set up is very much used even today.  Such things as the shock relocation disc brakes and even R&P tame these cars and makes them very much a drivable beast.  I would consider the three a working handshake so to speak..the R&P is not nearly as critical as the brakes and shock relocation are.  You should consider R&P and a sway bar upgrade if you wish to drive aggressively. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, greg g said:

I think the later engine is actually lighter than stock. V8 about 670. Flathead six 700.

I don't think the 230 is near 700.  I have one on the engine stand right now.  Short block is only around 300/325.  add head about 45. 

What drives the installed weight is the flywheel/clutch housing/manifolds and accessories.  Mopar used a lot of cast iron in those.

But the fully dressed engine without flywheel/trans/housing should be in the 500/550 range.. 

I've had a 318 Poly V8 in my 1940 Dodge since 1973, the front suspension is basically the stock style although I have used 41-54 upper A arms and mid 50's Frod coil springs, I have 11" vented disc brakes, a rack & pinion, relocated upper shocks and a 1" thick sway bar........car drives and handles well...........these mopar front suspensions are basically the same overall design thru to 1956, however they are more than capable of handling the weight of a big block engine so just upgrade the springs, shocks and brakes...depending on how the engine is mounted and located will decide whether a change of steering is required, when I installed my engine there wasn't the options and info available back then and I used the rack from an Austin 1800, cavalier racks are available now and also other steering options  ...........a frame swap or front end graft is from my perspective, the last card in the deck, as there really isn't any need to do it and a well thought out upgrade of whats there will give you what you need with a positive nod from fellow Mopar fans and enthusiasts.........regards from Oz...............Andy Douglas    

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

017.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1