Leak at Oil Pump Flat Plate

Cold Blue

I have a new gasket (well, NOS) to hopefully cure the leak at the oil pump flat plate. Do I have to prime the oil pump if I just remove the flat plate? I have looked at previous discussions, and could not find anything definitive. Thanks!!!

My procedure is to always pack oil pumps with vaseline.  That assures quick pickup.  That used to be a required procedure for buicks that has the oil pump in the front cover and pickup tube in the rear sump.  I just adopted it as standard on all my work.  I used to build engines for sale in my Dad's business.  They sometimes set on the floor or weeks before sale and sometimes were customer installed.  a little vaseline and  Good assembly lube is cheap insurance  against a dry start.

• Like 1

Good advice above .  Just be certain that the "gasket" you use is the correct one.  All rotor pumps use a neoprene ring which is square in its cross section. A regular O ring may not work.

The earlier gear type pumps used a very thin shim gasket.  You do not want to increase the space between the moving parts of the pump and its cover as this will reduce the efficiency of the pump.

Only advice I have, follow the book on setting up the timing when removing/installing the oil pump.

I buy a used truck, I remove the distributor for maintenance.

Turns out whoever pulled the oil pump in the past did not follow the book, I had a hard time getting the #1 plug set in correct position when I re-installed the dizzy.

Not a big deal, but you may save yourself a headache in the future to just follow the book.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dpollo said:

Good advice above .  Just be certain that the "gasket" you use is the correct one.  All rotor pumps use a neoprene ring which is square in its cross section. A regular O ring may not work.

The earlier gear type pumps used a very thin shim gasket.  You do not want to increase the space between the moving parts of the pump and its cover as this will reduce the efficiency of the pump.

The gasket I have is a very thin square section one. I think my 218 has a gear type pump. I am hoping that this new gasket cures the leak!