new 1947 plymouth owner! where to get parts

blochworx

hey guys! just purchased a 1947 plymouth special deluxe for a project, i dont have experience with these, always done classic fords/chevys but i am excited for this one. i have been looking around but wanted to ask if you guys can help with some places and links to good places to find parts for them, stock replacement kinda stuff and upgrades. 

thanks everyone!

eBay - where you can find almost everything, and for bargain price - if you have time and patience. Get Mopar parts catalog for your year to check if parts are right. Once you figure eBay sellers who have reasonable prices, bookmark them and check regularly.

Bloch..........I have been getting stuff from Bernbaums for over 30yrs and recommend them, however depending on what you are going to do to the Plymouth you may find that there are great deals sometimes on obscure listings on ebay...........I'm in Australia and when I was doing up the 230 engine for my 1941 Plymouth Coupe I started searching on US ebay under various year listings such as , say 1956 Plymouth or 1954 Dodge as depending on the parts that I needed I realised that the same part may have been used over a number of years and that search widened the chances of getting the parts.......I found that Mopar opened a spare parts distributorship for the middle east in Turkey, yep That Turkey and when it closed or whatever a large number of NOS parts became available and were being sold by a couple of guys there........I ended up getting an oil pump, valve lifters, timing chain and gears and a few other bits & pieces at less than half the US dollar prices and great shipping as well.........so don't discount obscure ways to skin the cat......also I'd strongly suggest getting a shop manual and a parts book if possible as these will help immensely no matter how you intend to do your car...........also check the classifieds on this site...............and finally...........Welcome aboard from Oz...........pics, we need pics of your car.......heres mine...........Andy Douglas

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Not sure what parts you are looking for but most tune up parts are available from NAPA if you have a parts guy who is not afraid to use a book to look things up. Also Rock Auto available on line has many parts for your car. What upgrades do you want? Is your engine fresh as in has it ever been rebuilt? Have you done a compression test?

fromthebook.jpg

good morning fellas, i appreciate all of you getting back to me and giving me some help. i started looking at oldmoparts last night and man looks like they have a lot for our cars which is great and im a big ebay guy myself so i did find some stuff there but it seems to be hit or miss with these. we have a car parts swap meet here is socal once a month that im going to start going to as well and see what i find. ill get some pics of my car uploaded for you guys, we are stripping the rest of the interior today on it too.

quick story of the car, guy i bought it from his uncle is original owner, he took motor apart 30 years ago and then that was it it sat. i was given the motor with all the pieces and the trans. though i am actually going to be putting a v8 in the car since i have a few sitting in my garage 

also last night i ordered that find mopart parts book, hopefully itll help at times when needed

based on your bio your not going to like it haha but its a small block chevy with a 700r4. i have many engines ive collected in my garage so figured i would use one, my options are olds 455(basically a boat anchor), two LS 5.3, or this small block chevy. i may find a 360 to put in this but we shall see its still got a ways before i even start putting a motor in it

Bloch........I can understand the engine choice tho.........the main thing is to get the car on the road and use it..........these cars respond well to a disc brake upgrade, and general suspension rebuild & tidy up...........my Dodge has a 318 Poly & torqueflite and has been that way since 1973........a small block mopar is basically the same size as a SBC but its your car and as you have the SBC on hand it makes sense.........anyway got any pics?............lol...............andyd

Yes exactly what I wanna do get it on the road, we aren’t doing a full resto on it keeping it rat rod ish if you wanna say, but all rebuilt suspension/brakes with the v8 and 4 speed hoping it’ll make a great cruiser to enjoy. Been looking at disc conversions found a few options with a range in price.  And yes I have a few pics so far I’ll attached a few next since I’m on my phone 

Please say you are not going to leave the rusty appearance on it............sorry but crap rods do none of us any favours, the general public sees a crap rod and thinks that all old cars are pieces of crap, then the politicians weigh in to get the crappy old cars off the road and we all get included in the roundup..........and the idea that they are reliving something from the past is not true, no one called their patina'd car "finished"............at least give the old girl a coat of undercoat or something approaching one colour to let her know she's loved................. o/k....I'll get off my soapbox...............lol......Andyd  

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. The body looks pretty good as far as rust through any place. How is the underneath, floors, frame and body mounts etc?  I personally like to see these vintage gems kept original but I am also a believer that it is the owners choice to make his or her car to their liking. Good luck with your project.

John R

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys! haven't been on in a while. 

to answer some above things yes we are keeping the outside the patina it is now, will be doing some sanding on it to smooth it out and having it clear coated. out here in socal the patina style is very popular actually and i am a fan on it.

the car has some rusty areas, most surface stuff really, areas that went all the way through are both front door sill plate areas. i cut out and welded in a new one today actually on passenger side just gotta do driver and we will be painting the while floor to seal it up and some dynamat before the carpet goes in.

otherwise been chipping away on it as we can and have a list going on things we will be buying

• 4 years later...
On 3/9/2019 at 7:40 AM, Don Coatney said:

Not sure what parts you are looking for but most tune up parts are available from NAPA if you have a parts guy who is not afraid to use a book to look things up. Also Rock Auto available on line has many parts for your car. What upgrades do you want? Is your engine fresh as in has it ever been rebuilt? Have you done a compression test?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/Engine/fromthebook.jpg

What books do you recommend for 1948 deluxe? 

Have you found a good shop manual that does well at presenting how to perform repairs. Same for part book. Is the best place to get these books ebay? 

21 minutes ago, rcl700 said:

What books do you recommend for 1948 deluxe? 

Have you found a good shop manual that does well at presenting how to perform repairs. Same for part book. Is the best place to get these books ebay? 

Rock Auto offers manuals and parts books in either hard copy or CD:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10593924&cc=1486874&pt=10335&jsn=377

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=14711425&cc=1486874&pt=10335&jsn=381

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Appreciate the links.. thanks