Swapping drivetrain in my 1948 p15 coupe

48p15sdccoupe

I’m sure I’ll get a lot of negative feedback on this, but with that being said if you don’t agree and or get mad please keep your comments to yourself as it’s my car and I’m building it to suit me not you! And for you nay sayers the original drivetrain will be kept and packaged accordingly to save it.

I am pulling the trigger on doing an LS swap in my 48 coupe...will be using a 5.3 truck motor with 4L60 trans. I’ve seen on a couple posts here of a couple people doing these with stock front suspension. I’ve emailed those people but have gotten no response so I thought I’d post my own. I’m looking for some tips and tricks on getting the motor/trans stuffed in the car. Mainly will the truck oil pan and front accessories work or will I need to swap out for the LS car stuff?? Also steering options will it work with stock steering or will I need to change to after market?? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks 

MY only comment is you seem awfully defensive about this. If you have the right to think anything about it you want to think,so do others. Including people who disagree with you.

Lighten up,Lucille!

48p15, I think your opinion on the naysayers is a little strong. My interest in original patina is not popular on this forum yet the consensus is "Its your truck!"  I view the opposing thoughts to be constructive, and do not discount them because they are meritorious and as such "warnings" .

so I encourage you to proceed and share what you do because there is always something new to learn. 

Best to you, but please proceed in a positive way! 

this swap is very much a daily procedure and the HAMB website would be a very good place for you to solicit views, ideas, tips and pointers.   You will find a lot of folks there that share your thoughts on builds

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I don't know what your frame width is in the 48 but my 37 is receiving the exact same swap.  5.3LS/4L60E.

37 Dodge Floor, will need a new hump for the tranny bell housing.....tranny fits nicely between the X member and Driveshaft loop if a bit tight.

Mine needed the fire wall cut out and moved back about 5 or so inches to leave room for the fan and factory style radiator.

As for the engine, we put mounts on the dodge frame and used a fatman cross member for suspension, engine pan clears with the motor set back into the firewall.  

The narrow factory boxed frame of the 37 needed notching and steel fill to mount the motor mounts on both sides.   The PS side of the frame at the fatman cross member needed notching to clearance items that are mounted on the engine in the area of the timing cover, about 7 o'clock as you look at the face of the motor. 

The PS side of the fatman cross member also needed notching and fill to clearance those same protuberances on the timing cover.

Additionally, the Driver side frame (37 Dodge) will not clear the LS factory exhaust as the flange lies within 1/2 of the top center of the DS frame rail.  We are investigating headers/other options. 

Finally, using a tilt steering column, it comes out just behind the DS head of the LS Engine when using the factory location at the dash.   Not sure if we will shift the column further to the drivers side or use a gear and chain drive box to transfer rotation down  and over so we can access the rack and pinion and clear the exhaust. 

If you are using the factory suspension and the steering box is behind the suspension (e.g. close to your feet), expect additional interference with the DS exhaust system.

The LS motors are a bit wider than the GM small blocks and I see, at least with the 37, they sit a noticeable amount lower between the frame rails.

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

As for querying LS motor and 4l60e swaps on the HAMB, your thread will eventually be deleted as they are very much against the discussion of any parts/technology newer than 1965.   Been there done that.   Not the friendliest bunch unless you are trying to build something that uses ancient technology.

• Like 3

Thank you sharps40, I know one member here falcon has his done like this but I haven’t heard back yet. But from some of his replies else where it seems I’ll have to do the same with my firewall. As for the above semi negative comments I believe you’re reading my comments on the “naysayers” and taking it the wrong way...,I wasn’t trying to be harsh or rude, I just get tired of the no don’t cut up a perfectly good original and so on. I’m doing the same thing hot rodders have done for years....taking something and making it better with what I’ve got. But I can assure you guys I wasn’t trying to be an a$$hole there. 

I saw Falconvan's car in person a couple of years ago but I can't recall how much firewall setback it took. Hope he's doing okay..

Do you intend to run fuel injection or carburetor?? 

Good luck with your swap!! 

edit to add

Here's his build thread. I hope..

Edited by MackTheFinger

This forum needs a new name as it's going to more modified.... p15-d24 H.A.M.B. Boys

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It is likely that you’ll need to change the steering to fit that engine. There are several posts describing a rack retrofit. The advantage of your engine/tranny choice is the many low cost options for aftermarket equipment and the technical know how on the internet versus using a Mopar drivetrain. The advantage of using a 5.2/5.9 mopar engine is that you can stay with the stock steering by using a 60/70’s exhaust manifold.  It’s also likely you’ll need to reshape the firewall and tunnel, which is not difficult sheet metal work, to fit the radiator and position the combo at a reasonable angle for the driveline. I’m looking forward to hearing about you progress. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This forum needs a new name as it's going to more modified.... p15-d24 H.A.M.B. Boys

Nope, HAMB boys are afraid of "modern technology" and in particular MII suspensions, LS engines and way too many very good overdrive automatic transmissions.  Here there is a good mix of original and the new and a willingness to be open to both ideas.    

Thank you for sharing that Mack!! I was looking for it but counselor find it. Mike from what I understand I can offset the 5.3 slightly to the passenger side to use original steering, but I’m considering the fatman r&p conversion as my steering needs a little attention (has some nice play), and rear exit headers with custom exhaust should do the trick. Also I’m pretty sure the firewall has to be moved back a little bit to make everything fit right.

I have a '48 SD Club Coupe that I have put a SB Stroker in. Rock on brother!!! The steering box will be an issue. Butch's in Dayton has a kit that has a trans crossmember that will accommodate a below floor power brake unit that has worked out very well.

Engine 2019.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Sure does... I have also found everyone here much more helpful than on the H.A.M.B for whatever reason....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 48p15sdccoupe said:

Thank you sharps40, I know one member here falcon has his done like this but I haven’t heard back yet. But from some of his replies else where it seems I’ll have to do the same with my firewall. As for the above semi negative comments I believe you’re reading my comments on the “naysayers” and taking it the wrong way...,I wasn’t trying to be harsh or rude, I just get tired of the no don’t cut up a perfectly good original and so on. I’m doing the same thing hot rodders have done for years....taking something and making it better with what I’ve got. But I can assure you guys I wasn’t trying to be an a$$hole there. 

Well said... We are all building the perfect beast in our own way. Even if it is bone stock...Still your baby

• Like 2

Sharps40,

I’ve seen similar installations where 5 lbs of engine is put into a 3 lb opening of an older car – a challenge to be sure, but with patience, and perseverance, it can be done (and what a warm glow you’ll have when it’s accomplished . . .). There’s a gear-drive (3 gears within the case), that’s designed specifically to go around immovable obstacles. I’ve never used it, but do know of a couple of other builders who have, and they report no problems. The only issue with this is to ensure that the gear unit is mounted SOLIDLY. Also, it uses NO chains – a definite weak link. I’m sorry, I don’t remember the name of the company that make this gear unit, and I’ve got to run, but I’m sure some internet trolling should turn up the information you need.

Lastly, I’ve also hear some “elitist” comments pertaining to the HAMB site – not the most congenial folks. Some herein fit into that category, as well. But, that’s why there’s the “ignore” feature.

Best of luck to you on this interesting project. Regards . . .

DrDoctor.

All is well.   The shop working over dads 37 has it in hand.   My guess is we'll use a header and they will wind up a good shot down to the rack with no worries.  If not, one of the boxes will help.  I'll let them handle dads 37.   I'm retiring in a few months and I'll probably scrounge up another old 37 Dodge 4 door or truck for my retirement ride and set it up with a 292 with 3 weber 34mm single barrels, also looking over a slant 6 in a mopar too but mayby go v8 with a 283 with 2 weber 38/38s on a tri carb manifold (since there really are no 2x2 manifolds laying around for a small block).  decisions....decisions.....But, won't be able to talk about it on HAMB cause weber ict's and 38/38s might be too new and make em all nervous and twitchy!  All in good fun though.   HAMB is a good place to find and sell parts and look at pics for ideas, I just have to blot out any parts of my dads build photos that show the evil LS motor or the very scary Mustang II front suspension! 

I saw a 37 dodge with an early 426 hemi in it.   Fit was tight.   Sure sounded good and got down the road nice too!

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Just a Mopar?

there were so  many of these things made they still falling like leaves from the trees....you can go online any given time and find dozens of these for sale from parts cars, projects, drivers, modified, so called restored...just about anything for any price range....they are not anywhere near rare or endangered.