Man are these old trucks tough!

Jeff Balazs

Pouring down rain this morning. Flood watch in effect. Headed to the shop in the dark when out of nowhere a huge fallen pine tree is hanging into my lane. At 45 mph it hit the roof on the passenger side near the corner of the windshield. Was expecting broken glass and significant damage. Nada.....zip....nothing. Not even a scratch. Got to love that old Detroit Iron. I am positive an impact like this would have messed up a newer truck. And yet the only evidence is a few pine needles. And an elevated heartbeat..... Old Pilothouse trucks RULE!

Jeff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just a little side note on this. And a nod to Reg. When I built my truck I installed a pair of aftermarket mirrors similar to the ones on Reg's old yellar. Not only do they work better than the stock type mirrors but they fold away in an impact situation. I caught a bit of flak from some purists on this. But based on what happened today my passenger side mirror took impact and folded away. I am pretty certain a original mirror would have caused some sort of damage.

Jeff

Thanks guys. No pix....happened in the dark and in a downpour.....and the only evidence was literally a few pine needles. I drove past there on my way home last night. The tree must have been 50 to 60 foot tall judging from the ones around it. Looks like the slope it was on is super saturated and it tipped over in the wind. Lucky it was just the top of that tree because what was left that I saw was about 10" to 12" in diameter. Probably would not fared as well with that much trunk.

Jeff

The weather we have been having let up enough on Sunday to clean and wax the cab. The old truck definitely did not sustain any damage from the impact with the tree during the storm. Amazing considering the impact of hitting the tree top going that speed. It sure sounded like there was going to be some damage. All I found was a few pine needles stuck in the passenger side cab roof light that I had added when I put the truck together a few years ago. No dents or scuffs.

Some people doubt that these trucks can be used daily but this episode is just another example of how wrong that thinking is. With a few tweaks these old trucks can be extremely functional transportation. I have had this one on the road for 4 years now and it gets the job done. Might not be the fastest thing out there but it has been pretty much rock solid reliable. As the old Timex commercials said "Takes a lik'in and keeps on ticking"

Get out there and use um, Jeff

• Thanks 1