48 Plymouth radio

Cold Blue

Pulled the radio out of my 48 Club Coupe. My car has been converted to 12 volts. The radio wires to power had been cut. I want to get it working. It is a Motorola CR8 , with the vertical push buttons.  Question: for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set the push buttons. They don't pull out to set like other radios I had in the 60's. The tuner knob will work when you push the "M" or manual button.  Anybody know? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Cold Blue said:

No silver caps on the buttons. No small dials. Buttons are solid black plastic. Pull off a button and there is just a flat metal rod that the button presses onto.

Interesting to learn this, I had assumed all the Motorola radios worked the same thru the 40’s.

Working on the radio to get it operational. Made the decision to fix it myself. To me, that's the fun of these vintage cars! Did a lot of on-line research to school myself on how to bring the radio back from the dead. The first step is to replace all the paper capacitors. After 70 years, they dry out and no longer function as designed. Suprisingly, the tubes probably don't need replacing. All info says because they are sealed units, they generally don't bite the dust. The mechanical parts of the radio appear to work fine; just need some light lubing and adjusting. I can't wait to hear the radio work for the fist time in probably forever! I am keeping the original dash speaker too if i can. Will let everyone know how this turns out. Best regards, Blue. 

And by the way, my research says that the Motorola CR8 radio was installed by the factory as an "aftermarket" unit. I guess that having the Motorola nameplate on it, and not "Plymouth" is why it's labeled "aftermarket". Just seems funny to me....

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...