Steering Box for 46 Plymouth Special Deluxe

shedhouselife

On 2/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, rhelm1953 said:

I think Cold Blue has the right idea with checking the pre load adjustment.  The symptoms you describe, the free paly in the steering wheel and the speed wobble remind me of an old Datsun 510 I had.  Same symptoms, a small adjustment on the preload screw and it all went away.  Check the service manual for the correct procedure, follow it and it that does not correct the problem then you are looking at a steering box rebuild.  When you check the preload also check the fluid level.  My bet is on th preload being wrong, the steering boxes are pretty tough.

What do you mean by the preload? Btw I am ordering a manual. 

1 hour ago, shedhouselife said:

What do you mean by the preload? Btw I am ordering a manual. 

I think he meant the lash adjustment screw instead of preload.  The preload is for the bearings and is normally on the end of the box.  And, requires removing the linkage to accurately measure the bearing preload.  Lash, or freeplay is the more common adjustment and just removes 'lost motion' between the gear and follower.  Located on the top or side of the box, depending on model.

21 hours ago, kencombs said:

I think he meant the lash adjustment screw instead of preload.  The preload is for the bearings and is normally on the end of the box.  And, requires removing the linkage to accurately measure the bearing preload.  Lash, or freeplay is the more common adjustment and just removes 'lost motion' between the gear and follower.  Located on the top or side of the box, depending on model.

Yep, what he said, I meant lash not preload... :rolleyes:

On 2/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, kencombs said:

Ok thanks.

Hey guys. So the problem is in the box. All of the steering components are tight. I have all new tires. Now I am going to bite the bullet and take the car in to the shop. I work 6 days a week. I have no time! I'm bummed about not doing it myself.i just wanted to thank all of you for your great ideas. Speaking of great ideas do you guys recommend going with an Edgy cylinder head if I want more power? Or an overdrive trannyfor highway use? I love this car and I want to build it up enough to keep up with the times.

Hello,  When I rebuilt my 48 Plymouth steering box a number of years ago, I discovered the worm gear on the steering gear was the same as 49 Ford 1/2 ton truck steering box, I bought a new gear and shaft from Ford(it was still available at that time). I then had the old gear pressed off the shaft of my Plymouth steering shaft and had the new worm gear from the new Ford shaft pressed on my Plymouth steering shaft, and all worked great! A little tid bit of info, hope it helps!

Good Luck,

Ernie Baily

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ernie Baily said:

Hello,  When I rebuilt my 48 Plymouth steering box a number of years ago, I discovered the worm gear on the steering gear was the same as 49 Ford 1/2 ton truck steering box, I bought a new gear and shaft from Ford(it was still available at that time). I then had the old gear pressed off the shaft of my Plymouth steering shaft and had the new worm gear from the new Ford shaft pressed on my Plymouth steering shaft, and all worked great! A little tid bit of info, hope it helps!

Good Luck,

Ernie Baily

Moderators this bit should be pinned in tech or added somewhere....

5 hours ago, Ernie Baily said:

Good Luck,

Ernie Baily

I believe Plymouth used Gemmer steering boxes, and Ford may have used them as well.  That would account for some interchangeable parts.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:26 AM, Ernie Baily said:

Good Luck,

Ernie Baily

Thanks that's great to know!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, shedhouselife said:

Hey guys. My steering box just loosened up suddenly and now there is 6 inches of slack! Did the worm break? Should I just get a new box? Thanks!

If the 6 inches of play happened suddenly I suspect the loose steering wheel or stripped pitman arm or shaft.  idea.   Worn parts tend to gradually loosen.