Coles notes on 12 volt conversion please...

laynrubber

When I converted to 12V I found a bolt in 12V heater blower motor

Link to my swap with some added info

http://www.im-creator.com/free/yourolddad/the-snipers-nest/blower-motor

Now the question is what to do about the wipers?  A resistor isn't cutting it and I haven't found a bolt in replacement or anyone that converts a 6V wiper motor to 12V.  I might have to go with a motor controller if all else fails.

Any leads?

• Like 1

Sorry I should have added these are Napa Canada parts. Apparently there is a difference from Canada to the US. (I learned this when looking for GL1 oil, American site had but not available in Canada) 

I do not know the application for the blower as the parts guy took it and matched numbers for me.

i am having regrets about the winter....the car has sat on the hoist since October without me touching it. Been working on my Mustang more so I need to get back to the Plymouth SOON. 

As for the wipers....the resistor place was NO help. I complained about it not working and my emails suddenly stoped being answered. No mention of company name yet. I think a resistor should really keep the 6 volt motor working. I need to get back at this.

I will go out on a limb and say a resistor is probably the last choice for fixing the 6v wiper motor on 12v issue but if I was going to go that route I think I would just use an ignition ballast resistor.  Ideally a 12v motor in the 6v's place is the solution.  I have a DC to DC converter that is supposed to be capable of handling the current the wiper draws, I haven't tested it yet.  If that doesn't do the trick I have a few other ideas. some even realistic.

Correct, a resistor is the last choice but considering cost and availability of a 12 volt motor that interchanges .... a resistor is my next best choice. either a ballast or a solid state type resistor.

You can run the 6volt wiper motor on 12 volts without any problems, it will spin faster, the amp draw will be slightly more.

Well, if you consider it beating itself to death on 12v to be no problem, then yes.  Otherwise no.  My existing 6v wiper motor is not happy being fed 12v, hence my question.  Tried a voltage reducer resistor, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RU100 and it wasn't the fix either. 

33 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Well, if you consider it beating itself to death on 12v to be no problem, then yes.  Otherwise no.  My existing 6v wiper motor is not happy being fed 12v, hence my question.  Tried a voltage reducer resistor, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RU100 and it wasn't the fix either. 

I don't think you understand the relationship between a DC motor and the voltage and current(amps) applied to it. Its not the voltage that 'kills it', its the current. The current increases in relation to the mechanical resistance to the motor, ie., if the motor is stalled then current goes up dramatically.

I think I have been a trained electronics technician since 1984 and have a firm grasp on the theory.  Said theory also states that twice the voltage equals half the current for a given load.

the issue is that the motor moves so fast it beats the linkage against the stops.   

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think I have been a trained electronics technician since 1984 and have a firm grasp on the theory.  Said theory also states that twice the voltage equals half the current for a given load.

the issue is that the motor moves so fast it beats the linkage against the stops.   

This comment suggests that you don't understand.  Google 'DC motor and voltage/current relationship'

So its more a mechanical issue than an electrical issue?

What were the results of installing the resistor?  Motor too slow, too fast, let the smoke out or???  As long as the resistor has the right value to match the motor load it should work.  It's just a matter of selecting the proper value, or combination of values if using more than one.   With your background it shouldn't be too hard once you know the motor specs.

Edited by kencombs

You need a DC motor speed controller, something like this,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Module-Switch-Control-for-6V-12V-24V-28V-3A-O1U4/164086622417?epid=2244173619&hash=item26345328d1:g:W28AAOSwwJ1eS3rf

It would probably need to be more than 3amp, more like 5amps

43 minutes ago, maok said:

You need a DC motor speed controller, something like this,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Module-Switch-Control-for-6V-12V-24V-28V-3A-O1U4/164086622417?epid=2244173619&hash=item26345328d1:g:W28AAOSwwJ1eS3rf

It would probably need to be more than 3amp, more like 5amps

I looked at that one,and several others on the bay.  All appear to be 208, 220 or 240v input with a Pulse Width Modulated DC output.  A lot of them are listed as LED dimmers, so they do the AC/DC conversion and vary the pulse width to control the brightness.  I'm sure there are PWM controllers made with 12v dc in, but I'd bet they cost a lot more than the ones I looked at.

The reducer I bought was from a place in the US part number WHR1. I tried a couple of different connections for it, before the switch after the switch all on the supplier’s recommendation and all with no joy. Then his email stopped replying. Either hook up, turn on and wipers move 2 inches then stopped. Jumpered it with the 6 volt system and wipers operated properly. Back with resistor on 12 volts, moved 2 inches and stopped again. 12 volts in and 2.2 volts out.....not enough to run the wipers. That was when the emails stopped.

39 minutes ago, laynrubber said:

The reducer I bought was from a place in the US part number WHR1. I tried a couple of different connections for it, before the switch after the switch all on the supplier’s recommendation and all with no joy. Then his email stopped replying. Either hook up, turn on and wipers move 2 inches then stopped. Jumpered it with the 6 volt system and wipers operated properly. Back with resistor on 12 volts, moved 2 inches and stopped again. 12 volts in and 2.2 volts out.....not enough to run the wipers. That was when the emails stopped.

Resistor value is/was mismatched to the load.  Resistors for motor speed control has been common in vehicles for years as that is how many multispeed heater blowers have been implemented.  Just need to find the right combination.

7 hours ago, Wes Flippen said:

I installed this voltage reducer from e-bay ahead of the wiper switch. Wipers work just fine.

VOLTAGE-Reducer-Regulator-12-Volts-to-6-volts-25-AMP-HOTROD-VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-CAR thumbnail 2 VOLTAGE Reducer Regulator 12 Volts to 6 volts 25 AMP HOTROD VINTAGE ANTIQUE CAR

Thanks Wes, this will do the trick for me. For the price I can carry a couple of spares. The only down side is I assume it is not regulated on the output side.  James.

2 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

Thanks Wes, this will do the trick for me. For the price I can carry a couple of spares. The only down side is I assume it is not regulated on the output side.  James.

Well.....it is called a Voltage Reducer Regulator........sounds regulated to me.   :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Reducer-Regulator-12-VOLTS-to-6-VOLTS-25-AMPS-WITH-HD-heatsink/392272294231?hash=item5b55403157:g:5GAAAOSwGLZcjVzB

Edited by Sam Buchanan