Another Aussie onboard

aussie56

Hi All,

New member here.

Just got hold of a 1936 Plymouth 5 window coupe with rumble seat that I got in a trade doe my 1952 Chevy Styleline 2 door.

Loving learning about the '36 and everything that goes with it.

Car is fairly stock at the moment, still running original engine and gearbox but someone swapped the rear out for a Ford diff.

I am looking at the moment on swapping the 3 speed out for an auto. Found the place that does the adapter plate for a TH-350 auto. Hoping to make the car a bit more driveable and easy for the wife and kid to come along on cruises whilst keeping the old flathead 6.

8.jpg.2ead6f1ea92a742d319c95266121c7f2.jpgIMG_0262.jpg.71a14c36c648e553acc17d1f6f34fcf7.jpgIMG_0269.jpg.634928e9b95b33eda24caa51409c29a1.jpg

• Like 4

• aussie56 changed the title to Another Aussie onboard

Nice car..........from what I can see of the front number plate I assume you are in NSW?.............I'm in South Grafton.............from being RHD I gather its a TJ Richards body, where are you?.............you know that a non mopar gearbox swap will involve redoing the gearbox mounted rear mounts and connecting the handbrake up to the Frod rear axle, which I also assume has its handbrake stuff still inside the brake drums..........how stock is it apart from the diff and lowering?............I'm a hotrodder so I can live with any mods........lol..........I've had my car since 1971, its V8 since 1973, and have collected a bit of info such as Oz shop manuals etc.........email is scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au or phone 02 6642 5963 .........welcome aboard, Andy Douglas    

• Like 2

My start changing a beautiful car if it all works as is?

Is it for the wife to drive? Way cheaper to teach her to drive a standard shift than start tearing it up/ firewall/trans tunnel /shifter/ changes on and on!

Drive it and love it for the beauty she is- the car that is. Well the wife comes close second?? ?

• Like 4

Aussie56,

You car’s absolutely beautiful!!! I can relate to your issue with your wife and the auto trans. My wife and I both have “physical challenges”. The standard transmission isn’t a problem for me, but it is for her. So, I’ve made the decision to eventually dump the entire drivetrain of our ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe club coupe, and replace it with a ‘60’s-80’s Ford 6-cylinder engine, C4 auto, and Ford rear. I’m also going to scrap the Plymouth’s front suspension, and replace it with a Ford front suspension from the A-arm pivots outward. That’ll get rid of the Lockheed style brakes, which I hate.

The overall goal is to have an old car that she can drive, while being dependable with a contemporary drive train, and suspension. I’m not at all interested in keeping the car original, we both want it to look original, tho’.

As for the destiny of the original components . . . .

Warmest regards from the frigid northern hemisphere . . .

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, Andydodge said:

Nice car..........from what I can see of the front number plate I assume you are in NSW?.............I'm in South Grafton.............from being RHD I gather its a TJ Richards body, where are you?.............you know that a non mopar gearbox swap will involve redoing the gearbox mounted rear mounts and connecting the handbrake up to the Frod rear axle, which I also assume has its handbrake stuff still inside the brake drums..........how stock is it apart from the diff and lowering?............I'm a hotrodder so I can live with any mods........lol..........I've had my car since 1971, its V8 since 1973, and have collected a bit of info such as Oz shop manuals etc.........email is scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au or phone 02 6642 5963 .........welcome aboard, Andy Douglas    

Hey Andy, 

Car is registered in NSW but I'm in Brissy, hope to change the rego over in the next couple of weeks after I sort out a few bugs.

I have just redone the rear drum brakes as it didnt have any of the handbrake hardware inside the drum, now I have to work out getting it working right as I cant get to the small slot in the back of the drum to adjust the brakes because the leaf spring and lowering blocks are in the way.

I am still umming and arrghing about the gearbox swap, might just drive it for a while and then see what I want to do. Always good to have plans but lots of time they dont pan out.

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Like all cars its a work in progress, you always think of doing mods to make it nicer and for me its to keep me busy and enjoy working on the car. That was the main reason I swapped my chev for this one as I had gotten pretty much to the end of the road with the changes on the chev.

I have some tinkering on the car to get it a bit more reliable so that I'm not afraid to get in and drive it anywhere I want without having a tow truck number on speed dial :)

Cheers

Adam

• Haha 1

That is a very nice 36....   My Uncle had a 36 for over 40 years.    The USA 36 has  a different windshield, sharp corner at the bottom.

After using 3 stock transmissions in my 38, I went with a Ford Ranger truck 5 speed, ( TKO ) , rearend, and a Ford driveshaft, to make

the 38 more driveable, glad I did.     The Ford rearend park brake attached to the Plymouth cables very easy.....

5speed007.jpg

• Like 1