The front end of my gas tank has a fitting screwed into it having a barb on the outlet end and a 5/16 inch single flare on the end that screws into the tank. To me, the barb implies that a rubber gas line to the carb was used at some point. Is that correct? Also, I'd rather not use plastic or rubber fuel line nor this barbed/single flare fitting. Instead I think it would be much better to install 5/16 inch CuNi brake line and use a double flare fitting to screw into the tank. Does this sound like a good way to go? Will a new double-flared line make a good seal with the gas tank which was apparently built using a single flare fitting inside the tank? Any suggestions about the best and safest way to get gas from the tank to the carburetor are welcome at this point.

Fitting                                                                                                     Tank Internal Fitting

20190108_113944_1546969212709_resized.jpg.7ba114879c75c67635d2f396951b96a1.jpg20190108_113629_1546969209588_resized.jpg.d92f813666ebd32846c5eee9450f014a.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
changed 1/4 to 5/16

The truck fuel line is 5/16" steel tube.

It's all steel line to the pump except the flex hose at the pump.

I agree with the cupronicle line suggested above  Nice to bend and flare.  Won't rust either.  If it comes in a roll, carefully straighten for best appearance.

Double flare will work of course, but there's no need for it in that application, only brakes. 

From the looks of that fitting, it may have had a short flex from the tank to frame-mounted steel.  Tanks can move, just a little, relative to the frame on some installations.