Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

Okay fellas, thanks for all the info.  I might be just smart enough to figure it out ?

And Keith, thanks for those details, I'll need 'em ?

I'll keep you guys posted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:56 PM, keithb7 said:

Any luck getting it running Worden?

6-27-20:

Yes!  I got it, but it wasn't fun.  I borrowed my brother's multimeter and made sure I had power from the key switch to the coil and from the coil to the distributor. I reset the points, but realized the little screw that holds the points in place feels somewhat loose and possibly stripped.  I think that is my biggest problem at the moment.  Upon startup I believe the points are thrown off and have a smaller gap.  I'm going to put a completely different distributor in it with fresh points and cap etc.  Anyway I finally got it to start after putting new plugs in it.  Here's the foolish adventurous part of it all....I drove it 45 miles home!  I took the back roads.  The truck was only good for about 1/4 throttle; after that I couldn't tell if it was starving for fuel or just didn't have enough spark.  I'm gonna go with not enough spark.  Temp gauge read between 150-160.  Oil pressure was 40lbs the whole way.  I tilted the smoker's window all the way so I got plenty of fresh air.  Speedometer wasn't working but I estimate I traveled between 30 and 40mph the entire trip, which was plenty fast on the old tires.  Even though the truck wasn't running correctly, it got me home, and I enjoyed every bit of the drive!  I got lots of thumbs up too.  With the temp near 90F and the likeliness that this truck probably hadn't been driven even 25 miles in over 50 years, I have to say I'm quite impressed!

Pic #1: driving down a country road wondering if I'm going to make it home!

Pic #2: Made it!  Photo is from my garage looking out.  The neighbor lets me park there if I need to since he doesn't even live there.

IMG_20200627_165237396_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200627_195118051_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

July 1, 2020:

Out for a short cruise around the block.  Runs okay up till maybe 1500 rpm or so, then bogs out like I said before.  It was still a fun 2 minute ride!  My son wants to drive it really bad, but he's not tall enough yet.  Nor does he understand double clutching.  Once I figure out how to shift it without the clutch I'll teach him.  

IMG_20200701_204403058~2.jpg

IMG_20200701_204431120~2.jpg

July 1:

Engine ain't pretty, but at least there's hope I can get it running right.  Odometer reads 32K...but currently not working.

Measured the hubcaps (2 1/4) so I can borrow the right size socket from a friend.  I gotta get these wheels off and brakes apart!  

IMG_20200701_205437197~2.jpg

IMG_20200701_210311846~2.jpg

Check the bolts that hold  the top on the carburetor bowl.  If they do not have lock washers, or the washers are flat, they will work loose. I check mine regularly. .  When even slightly loose the engine will run but only that!

• Thanks 1

I had a similar higher RPM issue after I changed out a set of points and didn't get the spring locked in place right. I discovered when it got over around 1500 RPM the engine would lose power. Upon further inspection I found that the ignition timing would get very erratic and retard greatly over that speed. A close review of my recent work discovered the miss-installed spring. Without the spring the points would float at higher speeds. Once that was corrected, and the dwell and timing reset, it ran like a top. 

Another possible cause would be fuel starvation due to clogged jets, or a fuel supply issue. But I would check the ignition first. 

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Thanks 1

That's a very rare option on that truck...the twin horns.

They have a really nice sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Unfortunately the horns aren't working.  I have some serious wiring issues beyond those that I'll have to work out; including TWO key switches that have to be turned on in order for it to start.  Why on earth anyone would go that route I can't say.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

What he said!

July 4, 2020:

Happy 4th of July fellas ?

I got the front end up on blocks, wheels off, and dust covers (hubcaps some call them) removed.  I ended up using a channel locks to remove them after all.  I think they worked themselves a little bit loose after the drive home last weekend.

IMG_20200704_200334351~2.jpg

IMG_20200704_200352812~2.jpg

July 4th:

Front drums are easy to take apart, even for someone like me.  I've seen worse assemblies than these.  Certainly time for an overhaul.  Looks like I'll be skimming the drums at work as well.  The look a little rough.  Anyone know what the max diameter is?

IMG_20200704_202256236~2.jpg

IMG_20200704_202323622~2.jpg

Just wondering here if there are disc brake conversion kits for the 1 tons or at least dual reservoir master cylinders? Peace of mind to have the stopping power of disc brakes and the safety of dual master cylinder.

That’s one beautiful truck you have.

-roland

July 5, 2020:

The passenger front was tight and kept getting kinked, so I got it off with the puller.  I placed a brass shaft against the spindle to protect it.

IMG_20200705_200141338~2.jpg

July 6:

Success!  We have it up on jackstands, but tomorrow night we'll take off the driver's side wheel.  Lug nuts are loose?

IMG_20200706_214635074~2.jpg

On 7/2/2020 at 1:02 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Lol......yeah I noticed that too.

Good luck with the rear brakes.....always good to have hep!

48D 

I looked at the brake service chapter and there wasn't a maximum allowable diameter listed that I could find, but pages were spent detailing how to bond new brake material to shoes...these brakes are set with a gauge that is used after measuring the drum, which is detailed in the shop manual...

additional information - brake service :cool:

• Thanks 1

Say .005 was taken off the drum. Doesn't sound like much however I believe some hydraulic and mechanical advantage is lost. Not much I suspect. I need an engineer to help me there! However I have seen the brake pins from the wheel cylinder to the shoes are available in different lengths. Perhaps a slightly longer pin could gain back any possible lost braking force? A friend with a machine shop could prove invaluable!

I too like the truck. It's a beauty.  Additionally great is to see your son out there showing interest and helping.  Hopefully his help is rewarded with driving lessons on that dirt road out in the country side. Set the hook and you've got a gear-head helper for life! I fear my '38 will never see MN. Otherwise I'd surely let him drive it!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1