Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

January 7, 2019:

Fellas, I'm so excited to share my latest find with you!  I have been searching for this truck for a LONG time; I was almost certain it did not exist.  And for it to turn up in Minnesota, an hour and a half from me is truly amazing.  

It's a 1948 B-1-D 5 window Express 1 ton with the 9 foot box.  230 with the 4 speed tranny.  Originally came from a grain farm in North Dakota.  There's no rust on it, and after further inspection it does look like the original paint, which is Dodge truck red for 1948.  Odometer reads 32K.  

It's not running, but I'm confident we will have it going this week.  PO said it was running last summer, but he had lost spark recently.  He had it for 5 years and didn't do anything with it.  Needs brakes of course.  I can handle that on my own.  

It is truly a survivor!  I'm certain the rear bumper is handmade. I don't believe the wood in the bed is original, and I don't believe the seat covering and door panels are original. But they are old for sure.  Has anyone ever seen that type of material on these old trucks?  

Anyway, I have a lot of questions, but I doubt I will get to them tonight. For now guys, just enjoy the pictures. ?

IMG_20190107_143936865_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190107_144001450_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 6

Nice solid original truck!

Good going.

More pics:

I got a ton of parts with it including carburetors, starters, distributors, generators, starter ring gear, gaskets, oil canisters, oil baths for the carb, and just a ton of other stuff that I haven't even sorted through yet including hubcaps, headlight rings, and I even got the original hand crank for it and it works! 

IMG_20190107_144921749~2.jpg

IMG_20190107_155106158~2.jpg

IMG_20190107_152826996_HDR~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Might have had an engine job?

Someone put an extra key switch in to the left of the steering column on the dash. You actually need to have that switch and the original switch both turned on in order to engage the starter. Weird, but I'll sort it out later....

IMG_20190107_155427531~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Might have had an engine job?

As far as I can tell it doesn't look like the engine has ever been touched.  A lot of the extra parts are tagged, which is nice.  I can't be sure if any of them actually came off this truck.  There's even a few pistons in the lot.

Edited by Worden18

From the black interior paint, and remaining black paint under the cab and running boards, as well as the red shovel strips and lack of argent lettering on the tailgate, I'm guessing that this was a black truck from the factory that someone painted red along the way...as far as I know, the wheels and axles were black also, the lock rings were coated a greyish-silver but knocking them rings on usually requires some touch up...nice find tho :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added information + link
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

From the black interior paint, and remaining black paint under the cab and running boards, as well as the red shovel strips and lack of white lettering on the tailgate, I'm guessing that this was a black truck from the factory that someone painted red along the way...nice find tho :cool:

I'm sure you are one hundred percent correct. And that shows how much I know. I did see the black under the red, and with my vast knowledge surely mistook it for primer.  Thanks for that info. Does the tag on the firewall say what color it originally was?  I had totally forgotten to look at that tag, if it is even there.

Edited by Worden18

7 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

You are probably one hundred percent correct. And that shows how much I know. I did see the black under the red, and with my vast knowledge surely mistook it for primer.  Thanks for that info. Does the tag on the firewall say what color it originally was?  I had totally forgotten to look at that tag, if it is even there.

what color is the firewall? good chance they didn't repaint that when they painted the exterior. My 46 was originally all black so my firewall is black instead of red

14 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

what color is the firewall? good chance they didn't repaint that when they painted the exterior. My 46 was originally all black so my firewall is black instead of red

Not sure....but I will check tomorrow and post it.

3 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Welcome to the truck family. Looks like a solid truck to add to your fleet. We look forward to your tales and the progress continues. 

Thanks Merle.  I'm really looking forward to working on it and posting the stories as I go!

9 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

There is no paint code on the trucks; that's something that didn't start until the 60s...I believe the only way to find out the original paint color is to request a build card from Chrysler :cool:

Okay, and thanks for that link.  Interesting....

11 hours ago, JBNeal said:

From the black interior paint, and remaining black paint under the cab and running boards, as well as the red shovel strips and lack of argent lettering on the tailgate, I'm guessing that this was a black truck from the factory that someone painted red along the way...as far as I know, the wheels and axles were black also, the lock rings were coated a greyish-silver but knocking them rings on usually requires some touch up...nice find tho :cool:

The wheels weren't cream like the smaller trucks?