New project 57 D100, help w/ IDing some parts

Noah

Hey all,

I need a little help with my engine, trying to get the finishing touches done before she's road ready. I couldn't find anything online or in the service manual. 

I've need to run the vacuum line to the advance on the distributor. I found to cut off lines, one one the intake manifold and one on the carb. I circled both in the picture. Which one does it go to, and what is the other for? 

Also, what is that unit mounted on the exhaust manifold? It does appear to have a cut off wire, and on the rear there is an arm that moves. I wanted to know what I was dealing with before I removed it and cleaned it up. 

I've got a lot of pictures here of the project, please take a look. I'm really excited to get this 'ol pickup on the road. Been the funnest project I've done and I'm really happy with how it's going, lots' more to come.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWeEmPHujXdteZpt9

Also, if there's any suggestions with etiquette for the forum, please let me know. 

ID.PNG

The pinched tube towards the firewall on the intake manifold is the port for the vacuum wiper motor, where a rubber hose would go up thru the firewall to the wiper motor.

As for your horn button, the 3-eared brass plate locks into the collar, with a compression spring on the steering wheel that keeps that plate in place; the wire and Bakelite feed thru the hole in the brass, not under it :cool:

• Like 2

Noah,

Your motor sure looks like it may be from a car, not sure as your truck was one of the last years of the flathead motor in cars. Truck usage year end?

What is the motor # stamped on the machined area just below the head and just above the generator almost to water pump on the drivers side of the motor?

DJ

On 1/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

far right, Sissions Choke

Great info, thank you!! I have a manual choke cable in the cab. Does it need both, or do I have a something that's been modified or non original?

On 1/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, JBNeal said:

The pinched tube towards the firewall on the intake manifold is the port for the vacuum wiper motor, where a rubber hose would go up thru the firewall to the wiper motor.

As for your horn button, the 3-eared brass plate locks into the collar, with a compression spring on the steering wheel that keeps that plate in place; the wire and Bakelite feed thru the hole in the brass, not under it :cool:

Great, great info, thank you!! That horn setup was driving me mad, thank you for catching that!! Works great now. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, DJ194950 said:

Your motor sure looks like it may be from a car, not sure as your truck was one of the last years of the flathead motor in cars. Truck usage year end?

What is the motor # stamped on the machined area just below the head and just above the generator almost to water pump on the drivers side of the motor?

That would make a lot of sense with the things that don't seem to quite match up. I added the casting numbers to the album.

On the side of the engine: PI8*95809*

On top of the engine: 1311810-5

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

previous owner

Roger. Thanks. Yeah it does seem I have some modified and non original setups. Now things are starting to make sense. Thank you very much for your help. 

if you have just recently taken ownership of the vehicle and you are need to do some comparisons…there is no substitute for a the repair manual...hopefully you got one with the purchase, if not, ebay is just one quick source for reprints and originals....get the book, read it three times....yes, not joke on that....and do consult it prior to any repair just to keep you and the vehicle safe...

You really don't need the manual choke knob in the dash of cab with that  Sissions Choke on the exhaust manifold.  It's automatic choke-- if it still works.  There should be a bimetallic spring inside that when heated it pulls the rod which moves the choke either open or closed automatically based on engine/manifold temperature. 

Andy

Might be set up like a car throttle linkage, hard to see. Funny cuz it has the truck linkage ( thou abandoned ) on the rear of the block.

Here's a video I did that might help....

Estrada Motorsports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Identification notes part 1

48D  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Might be set up like a car throttle linkage, hard to see. Funny cuz it has the truck linkage ( thou abandoned ) on the rear of the block.

Here's a video I did that might help....

Estrada Motorsports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Identification notes part 1

48D  

GREAT VIDEO! Thanks for that, big help. I thought my throttle linkage was a bit wonky.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, Noah said:

Good info, thanks. Did the 57 D100 come with the same engine? Is it still a 3.8L

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the 49 Plymouth should be a 218 correct? The 57 would of had a 230.

That i correct if motor is still stock and has Not had a 230 crank and rods  installed. They are a drop in replacement with no other changes required!

DJ