Correct oil

Zpard

Oil, hmmm, do they need oil?  Whatever is on sale at Napa. That’s has been my thought for my B2B and my ‘29 model AA Ford truck. It’s only oil, the machine tolerances aren’t such that you need anything special. 

I use 15w40 diesel rated oil in all older engines.  Just a house brand from atwood’s, a local farm and ranch store.

The weight range fits the engines needs , it has a fair amount of zinc and detergents. 

Makes me feel good, engines run fine and it’s reasonably priced. 

43 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I use 15w40 diesel rated oil in all older engines.  Just a house brand from atwood’s, a local farm and ranch store.

The weight range fits the engines needs , it has a fair amount of zinc and detergents. 

Makes me feel good, engines run fine and it’s reasonably priced. 

that's the way to buy oil....what gives you peace of mind.....odds are it is going to meet the specs set forth by the API for application.....sit back, relax, enjoy the ride.....

• Like 1

I agree w/what the others said, but would add that I use a somewhat heavier grade in the summer, and then a slightly lighter grade for winter. Dunno if it makes a difference in starting, as some might say, but, I feel better because of it. ?

As many have stated, engine oil requirements are easily met by virtually anything available on the shelf in grade or close to it.  

In the gearbox, I would personally be a little more selective.  There is a possibility that some EP GL5 rated gear lubes intended for hypoid rear axles can harm yellow metals inside transmissions.  As transmission rated gear lube is reasonably easy to find, I always stick with that just in case.  It's perhaps overkill, but cheap insurance at the end of the day.

I just replaced my transmission lube. I had sta-lube 85w90 In it and had problems with grinding going into third unless I double clutched. I drained the transmission and put in Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission lube.  It’s fairly thin but the transmission shifts like new. I think Redline 75 w 90 might be a good choice too. Both of these oils are compatible with brass syncros

Bill

2 hours ago, bosworth said:

I just replaced my transmission lube. I had sta-lube 85w90 In it and had problems with grinding going into third unless I double clutched. I drained the transmission and put in Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission lube.  It’s fairly thin but the transmission shifts like new. I think Redline 75 w 90 might be a good choice too. Both of these oils are compatible with brass syncros

Bill

That's an interesting choice, usually the Synchromesh fluids are recommended for the more modern aluminum transmissions like Tremec or New Venture. I would have probably defaulted to Amsoil 75W90 Manual Transmission Gear Lube in the older trans and not even  considered the lighter stuff.  I bet it shifts like butter even when it's cold.

Thanks for the information!