6v stereo wizardry

nolan in blaine

So i need some tunes in my 37 chrsler. The car is 6v still and i think its gonna stay that way. I have a stock radio for a 38 desoto. My thoughts are to gut the innards out of the radio and put in a bluetooth speaker in there so i can run music off of my phone. This idea just popped into my head about 5 minutes ago so i havent quite worked it all out, But will my 6v system charge the 12v speaker? Would it just charge at half speed because its halve the volts or would it not work at all?

12 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

This company is in the links directory, electrial.  Radio conversions - not cheap. http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

I thought odd that they're in Blaine, Mn  I want this when everything else is done.  So maybe never.

They did the radio in Dads 69 Sport Fury. Good guys really know their stuff. 

I charge my blue tooth speakers mounted behind the stock radio grill by running the usb cables out through the glove box and plug into the wall outlet in my garage.  My speakers hold about a 3 hour charge at full blast.  Could be an option if you don't listen for hours on end or don't want to carry a 12 volt battery.  I think ultimately I will still mount my small lawnmower 12 volt battery in the trunk and just charge the speakers from there with an adapter for trips longer than 3 hours.  99% of my trips are between 30 minutes to one hour each way so never really an issue.

20181022_234455.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2

It's possible to convert factory radio to play music from any source (supplied by mini - jack), using only original, electron valve electronics. If You have working radio (in most cases, the only repair needed is putting new capacitors in it), the only thing to do is connecting the wire to amplifier section of radio and disconnecting the antenna. I've done it with mine, of P-15 - although it's not mounted in car yet(it's looong way to make it "car" again), the table - tests gave splendid results

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Polsonator2 said:

I charge my blue tooth speakers mounted behind the stock radio grill by running the usb cables out through the glove box and plug into the wall outlet in my garage.  My speakers hold about a 3 hour charge at full blast.  Could be an option if you don't listen for hours on end or don't want to carry a 12 volt battery.  I think ultimately I will still mount my small lawnmower 12 volt battery in the trunk and just charge the speakers from there with an adapter for trips longer than 3 hours.  99% of my trips are between 30 minutes to one hour each way so never really an issue.

20181022_234455.jpg

Polsonator2, there is no need for a 12V battery, you can get a 6V USB and connect it to your existing electrical system.  I purchased one off of ebay meant for aviation that works with 6V to 24V electrical systems.  The case is plastic so no worries with positive ground, I just connected the + lead to ground and the - lead to switched power.  I think the USB port was about $24.00.  Then you can listen all day!

• Like 1