1946 Dodge fluid drive clutch replacement

brooklynbeer

That alignment tool is not needed.

It you are sending the block out just take the clutch, FD and bell housing off.

Strip it all down...send the block off to the machine shop.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That alignment tool is not needed.

It you are sending the block out just take the clutch, FD and bell housing off.

Strip it all down...send the block off to the machine shop.

That's what I was using to keep the clutch from wobblling as I took it off.  Dumb question, in between the rear of the block and the FD, are the small flat (7/16" head) bolts holding the FD to the crank (hope not) or the big bolts?  Just don't want to take the chance to get it wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

With temps staying at 31F all day with wind, I stayed inside and did some research. Was trying to find pilot bushings for my Fluid Drive 48 Dodge.  Previously on another post Sniper had mentioned the Oilite bushing site.  https://oilite.com/engineering-assist?m_id=1&metric=0&t_id=1   For the inner bushing the ah hem Parts List showed a .565" ID x .815" OD bushing.   I did run out for 15 minutes and tried to measure the bushing lengths. Inner bushing seems about 5/8" long (at least longer than 1/2"), top bushing was 7/8" long.   I had measured the end of my trans shaft previously. It was .5620" diameter on the end, .9995" midway.   So, I thought a good match would be Oilite AA807-03, about 3/4" long. Well, nobody had one. But I did find 807-02 which is 1" long on Amazon. So I ordered it. Can always shorten it.  Looks like it was the last one.  I'll see if it fits my transmission shaft end. Still looking at the upper 1.0025" ID diameter bushing.  Seems like more possibilities in the Oilite listings.  They even have flanged sleeves with the right dimensions, you just might have to grind the flange off.

IMG_5896 Parts List Pilot bushings.jpg

Oilite bearing order.jpg

Oilite FD lower AA807-02.jpg

Oilite FD Upper  1.jpg

Oilite FD Upper 2.jpg

OILITE info.pdf

• Like 1

If you have any local bearing houses, I do as I am in the oil patch, you might run those oilite numbers pass them and see if they can get them for you.  Might not be cheaper though.  In the past I have had good luck with my local bearing supply place helping me sort out replacement bearings and in at least one case recommending a better choice to address a chronic bearing failure issue on some production machinery at work.  Seems the original engineer specified a bearing not rated for the higher speeds the machine actually ran at.  They found a high speed version and that really increased the uptime. 

• Like 1

On my slightly worn trans shaft the bushing I ordered from Amazon fit.  Just a little too long.  If you pull it out about 1/2 way over the shaft you can make it wobble a little, fully on you cannot make it wobble. Spins nicely. This particular bushing you don't have much choice.  

IMG_5985 bushing.JPG

IMG_5986 bushing.JPG