49 Plym Special Deluxe New Radiator & Aftermarket Fan Help

thekid1950

I'm replacing radiator with an aluminum unit.  The core is a little too thick & the stock fan touches the radiator.

I either need to return the radiator & get a thinner one or I need to find an aftermarket fan that will fit.

Most aftermarket fans will work nicely providing even more blades.....BUT I can't find one with a hole large enough to fit the water pump shaft.

All comments will be appreciated.  Thanks...Merry Christmas

Why can't you just bolt your new radiator to the front surface of the sheet metal instead of the rear surface,and use spacers or washers to space the radiator forward enough for clearance?

Because there is a brace in the way.

Just in front of the top tank, there is a brace that goes from side to side.  This brace prevents moving the radiator forward.

I could trim the brace about .25" which might allow mounting the radiator on the grill side of the mounting bracket.

That might be a solution.

The radiator is supposed to fit....It's a CHAMPION 3 row........maybe I should have gone with a 2 row.

The water pump is new & matches the old one.   I think it's correct.  The water pump hub is pressed on correctly...maybe a 1/16" clearance to the water pump housing.

The hub is 1 1/8" in diameter.  Modern fan blades come with a much smaller hole.

What the # on that Champion radiator??

I used a three row Champion on my 50 4dr. Plymouth (supposedly the same as 49) and it's tight but clears the stock fan fine.

How's the condition of the motors mounts front and back??

DJ

i solved my problem.

i cut the horizonal brace in front of the radiator.  Had to cut 1" x .25" on both sides.

Now the radiator is mounted within the U channel radiator bracket thus moving the radiator forward about .50"

The fan now has adequete clearance.

Thank you for all the replies.