Wishing Everyone a Merry Christmas

desoto1939

Hope everyone and their loved ones have a  very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  If you are traveling to family and or friends please drive safe and arrive back home safe and sound.

Hope everyone arrives with Bells on. This is an old saying that refers back to when in the winter time you would use a horse a sleigh to gets to your destination.  If and when you got stuck in the snow the people that helped you get out of being stuck you would give them one of the sleigh bells that were attached to the horse as a way of saying thank you.  So if you made the entire round trip will the bells still on your horse then you had no issues, So then you arrived with Bells on your sleigh.  The bells were also used to warn other people on the road or going through the forest that a sleigh was approaching, so sort of our horn on our old cars.

Since I live near Valley Forge PA I am thankful for all of the people that had stayed with General Washington at valley Forge during the winter encampment to help gain our Freedom and to form the Great United States of America. Least we forget about these strong willed men and boys that stood up to get this Great nation started and also to our current men and women that are serving in our Armed Forces to still support our freedom and to protect our great country.  If you know of any family that might have a person serving please tell the family that you thank them and their family member for their support.

Rich Hartung

Valley forge, PA

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tom, a very interesting picture. First how many different makes of cars, then is Santa a bell ringer for Salvation Army, finally by looking at the road signs, can one determine the location? 

Finally, a Merry Christmas to you and all others. 

Levi Zendt, Cenntenial by Michener. Amos Boomer I don't recall. TKS for the reference, I should read The Badlanders the story of dry land farming in the high plains of which I am familiar. 

Don, Best of health to you in 2019.

paul

Merry Xmas and a Happy & Safe New Year.......the fat guy in the Red Suit should be just about to start his Nth American visit..............regards from Oz, Andy Douglas  

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

Tom, a very interesting picture. First how many different makes of cars, then is Santa a bell ringer for Salvation Army, finally by looking at the road signs, can one determine the location? 

Finally, a Merry Christmas to you and all others. 

I'm going to guess its Mt. Vernon Mo. 

Merry Christmas!