Acquired a 1950 Pilothouse to go with my '50 Meadowbrook

mmcdowel

Not having much luck with the search engine, so I'm just going to ask.

I've added a 1950 Dodge one ton Pilothouse to my little Dodge collection.  Its in super good condition, so I'm one lucky guy.

It runs and drives as it should now that I have almost mastered double clutching.  

However, it has split rims and I know of only one place in Oklahoma that still services those and its a bit of a drive.

I would like to put factory sized radials on it as the bias are hard as a rock.  

Is it possible to find more modern wheels that look like the originals?

IMG_0540.jpg

Edited by mmcdowel
  • Like 3

Much appreciated!  That Meadowbrook got me hooked on Dodges for sure.  Someone had to do a restore at some point, but it was decades ago.  I haven't found any rust or filler....wish I knew more of its story.

GGdad1951 and myself are both running radials on our split locking ring rims.

I went with a 215/85/16

Edited by Brent B3B
Photo removed
  • Like 1

Now those 16" six hand hole wheels are what should be on a 1 tonner and they do look good!

The look of modern correct size replacement rims if possible could never look so nice.

So many people are garbage canning those hard to find good 1 ton 16" wheels.?

I have run those same ctory wheels on my 1 ton for 40 years. Bias and radials.

Love em.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mmcdowel said:

Excuse my dirty garage please

So that’s your definition of a dirty garage? Can’t speak for others, but I’m thinking more like “boy that’s a lot of space” than “ I spy something that’s out of place.” That looks better than mine after a good cleanin’.

Congrats on the GREAT find.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the input!  Yes, upon further inspection it appears to have a ring around the outside which is the slit lock ring?.  However, upon closer inspection the tires appear much newer than I had thought and with lots of driving the last couple of days the ride had gotten better and better and I'm good with the way it is for now.  I'm assuming it had storage flat spots and was a noisy bear to drive at first.  I've finally mastered the shifting.  That was a little tricky at first to do without grinding.  Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmaas!

Welcome to the B2D club. DO NOT tell the other guys how fun we have it. I had my wheels custom made and they turned out great. Check out the picture on my account or I would be happy to post a picture. They were not cheap, but if this interests you I would be happy to put you in touch with the guy.

13 hours ago, mmcdowel said:

Thanks to everyone for the input!  Yes, upon further inspection it appears to have a ring around the outside which is the slit lock ring?.  However, upon closer inspection the tires appear much newer than I had thought and with lots of driving the last couple of days the ride had gotten better and better and I'm good with the way it is for now.  I'm assuming it had storage flat spots and was a noisy bear to drive at first.  I've finally mastered the shifting.  That was a little tricky at first to do without grinding.  Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmaas!

Yes, double clutch shifting takes some practice, and a bit of patience. You can’t be in too much of a hurry... 

Also, try greasing your spring shackles. If if has sat for a while they may be stiff with dried up grease. Get some fresh grease in there and drive it some more. You can also spray down your springs with a little oil, or spray on teflon dry lube, to encourage them to slide a bit easier. You’ll be amazed at how the ride improves. 

Merle

• Like 1

I've got new 7.00-16's on my one ton that I bought 2-3 yrs ago.  As with any of the bias plys-they flatspot when sitting for any period of time, and round back out after a short drive.  

• Thanks 1