1950 Plymouth Suburban - Jay Leno's Garage

Tim Keith

Jay restores at a very high level. But what he does is totally unrealistic to the repair / restore hobby. Few have the money, the paid skilled craftsmen, and the shop  that he has available.

I challenge Jay to personally, totally with his own hands, restore only one car that is over 50 years old purchased in the Great Lakes area where many of our forum members work and play. Some even drink cold beer.  

On December 24, 2018 at 2:01 PM, JerseyHarold said:

The wagon video really captures the essence of the car. 

I, too, came home from the hospital in one (well, almost...it was a '52 Cambridge)

My first ride was in Dad's '52 Belvedere.....

Dad's 52 Belvedere...?

C49 Chrysler NY Hdtp and P23 Belvedere 2Dr Hdtp.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Maybe...Ha ha....

He's a tad off on one of his factoids, the first American all steel station wagon was the '48 Willys.  I've watched a few episodes of his Garage shows, he often gets little things incorrect, but I'm more thrilled that I know a couple things than annoyed that someone gets something wrong, I've certainly spouted a few erroneous things on occasion, besides, I haven't met anyone that uses "Because Jay Leno sez so" as an argument.  Fun show to watch on occasion, more power to him that he has the resources and chooses the old car hobby, he rescues a lot of cars I would never be able to.  He has employees to do a lot of the work, but he busts his own knuckles, too.    

32 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

He's a tad off on one of his factoids, . . .

Stating that a 1950 Plymouth Suburban was the first all steel station wagon is, according to you, a "factiod". As a point of fact/factlet/point of trivia it is apparently wrong.

A factoid is a false statement presented as a fact, it was coined by Norman Mailer to describe things that people treat as facts but are actually false. The "oid" ending gives it away (asteroid is like a star (appears in the night sky like a star) but not a star, humaniod is like a human but not a human, etc.).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

He's a tad off on one of his factoids, the first American all steel station wagon was the '48 Willys.  I've watched a few episodes of his Garage shows, he often gets little things incorrect, but I'm more thrilled that I know a couple things than annoyed that someone gets something wrong, I've certainly spouted a few erroneous things on occasion, besides, I haven't met anyone that uses "Because Jay Leno sez so" as an argument.  Fun show to watch on occasion, more power to him that he has the resources and chooses the old car hobby, he rescues a lot of cars I would never be able to.  He has employees to do a lot of the work, but he busts his own knuckles, too.    

Ya I noticed that too. The 50 plymouth certainly wasn't first because Plymouth made that same body style in 49. 

...so...he wasn't off on the factoid, because it was actually a...factoid...:huh:  I used "factoid" as a small point of information, as opposed to a "false fact".  Apologies, live and learn...

Well you can get anything from this site. I mean I just learned something in history and writing. ie  "the first American all steel station wagon was the '48 Willys" and "A factoid is a false statement presented as a fact".