1939 3 window plymouth coupe

Tony Wise

TJ Richards in Adelaide, South Australia made both 3 and 5 window coupe bodies for the 1939 Oz Dodge and Plymouth cars, I have never seen nor heard of either Coupes being available for DeSoto or Chrysler here in Oz tho' I suppose it is possible that both DeSoto and Chrysler MAY have had a coupe in Oz as both used similar body shells in the sedan line that they had..........as for production numbers I may have something there.............but what is your car?......a P?........it should have a P? stamped into the top of the passenger firewall, above the horizontal firewall join, near where the brass "TJ Richards, King Of The Road" badge is screwed on.............Bill....the 5 window coupe is the rare one, used a vertical centre pillar, the 3 window is the common one here and looks very much like a 37 to 42 US Willys Coupe roof.........Tony have you got some pics?..........and where are you?............I'm in Sunny South Grafton NSW.......Andy Douglas    

Tony.........I just did a hunt for the figures I thought I had and unfortunately I only have from 1940 onwards as I have a 1940 Dodge & had a US 1941 Plymouth Coupe a few yrs ago, still have the Dodge tho', since 1971 actually........these figures came from a list that Bill Watson who is on this forum  posted a couple of years ago.........I'll see if I can contact him, he's in Canada from memory.........anyway have you any pics of your car?.........regards, andyd

Bill............found a couple of pics of the 1939 Plymouth & Dodge 3 Window Coupes..........the black car is a 1939 Dodge, TJ Richards bodied Coupe, note the thin upper door frame........ ....I thought I'd saved a front end shot of this car but can't find it....lol.........I have known of this black car since about 1973, it was originally a light green colour, all original however the owner Ian Bailey had it repainted black around 74/75, it was completely stock, Ian sold it in the late 70's to Keith Walters who had it for years, however I have no idea where it is now........the yellow Plymouth Coupe I do not know anything about, but it uses the same body and fenders etc as the Dodge.............will get back soon with a 5 window Coupe pic......hopefully........they are different to the USA 5 window as they have a vertical center door pillar............andyd   

Ian BaileysCoupe2.png

Plymouth1939CoupeYellow.png

Andy thanks for the reply. The car is a Model P8. I am in Townsville Nth Qld and found the car in Cloncurry and it took nearly 3 years to get from the previous owner and yes it was in a horse paddock. Hence some of the panels have been kicked by them.

I am having trouble uploading a photo the site tells me I only have 3mb upload, not enough for a photo.

Tony.............nice car............very restorable or roddable,........what are your plans for it?.......so you need a bonnet(hood for the Yanks) there appears to be some grille bars...........does it have the headlight lens and surrounds?.............andyd

No Andy, front sheet metal is fairly  banged up. Plans are probably restoring but depends on what parts I can come by. The floorpan has rust but that is replacable. Next step is to get the entire body and chassis blasted and etched primed Then start on the main body work.

Tony

I know of a 39 Coupe thats being rodded,  I think he is not using any original headlights so I can ask if he has any, also may have spare panels..............I was offered  all the bolt on sheet metal for a 39 Dodge or Plymouth sedan a few months ago but the parts are in Young, NSW.....I'm in Grafton so couldn't get them, these were free.........lol...........if you have any way of getting them I can give you the details tho' am not sure they will still be available as the owner in his 80's wanted to clear up some excess stuff............ring me if you want more detail, 02 6642 5963 anytime...............andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

Andy

Thank you            , Russell still had the parts and I have got them off him tonight. Just arranging pick up now. They belong to a dodge so no grill............

Once again thanks for the lead

Tony

Tony..........am pleased that you were able to get the parts..........was good to talk, sorry if I seemed to cut the call short but I thought that time would be of the essence so wanted you to be able to call Russell........am still trying to get a pic of that 39 5 Window Coupe ........anyway my email addy is scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au ..............I'll keep an eye out for any 39 dodge or Plymouth front sheet metal including headlight stuff.........btw what did Russell have..........lol?............Andyd

Russel has the 2 piece bonnet and side panels, grill, 2 rear mudguards, and 4 door skins- probably for a 4 door.

I am taking the lot off him so he can clear his shed and doesn't throw them out.

Thought he had a few bits............lol................sounds like a  win...........pleased to help........andyd.

That thing would look fantastic with a straight front axle, nose up stance, blown hemi with fenderwell headers and some pie crust cheater slicks.

Would also look good restored.

In fact I think that body style would look great just about anyway it is done. 

Sorry No use for nostalgic gassers, never made sense to me, No aerodynamics for speed and looked silly.  Things tried in the past is history but making something to actually Now drive?

Show only is fine.

Just my opinion, maybe I am to young at 68 yrs old??

Nose up and Not down as are all newer racers??

DJ

Well as my gradma always used to say "opinions are just like butt holes, everyone has one and all of them but mine stink". ?

I get it Gassers are not for everybody and you are right they are not built for longer distance driving, but I still like em. Maybe it is bread into me as this was what I grew up around. My dad built / drove this Willys and also Modifieds when I was a kid. So, nostalgic drag cars have always appealed to me.  

But, I like all kinds of cars. As I said that 3 window is a beautiful body style and would look good however it is finished from stone stock to Gasser to Street Rod or even a Tail Dragger Custom. 

1481041576388260161501.jpg

Untitled1.png

Edited by hkestes41

HK....thats a real nice gasser......btw your dad was Harley?.............so was my dad, and my grandson is also a Harley...good name.....lol............we must have more info on that Willys........an Olds, 394?......A/G so I assume it injected?.............more info...we need more info............lol..........also those rear wheels are unusual, 4 spoke but 5 stud............do you know the brand?.........and when did your dad have the car?.............the general "feel" of the pic says 64/65..........I like gassers, have built quite a few models of them over the years...........andyd

10 hours ago, hkestes41 said:

Well as my gradma always used to say "opinions are just like butt holes, everyone has one and all of them but mine stink". ?

I get it Gassers are not for everybody and you are right they are not built for longer distance driving, but I still like em. Maybe it is bread into me as this was what I grew up around. My dad built / drove this Willys and also Modifieds when I was a kid. So, nostalgic drag cars have always appealed to me.  

But, I like all kinds of cars. As I said that 3 window is a beautiful body style and would look good however it is finished from stone stock to Gasser to Street Rod or even a Tail Dragger Custom. 

I can see and understand your affirmation on regard to the gassers as you grew up with them in your backyard......

As soon as I saw the picture of the 3 window, I thought Willys, especially the thin rounded top of the door.  I also thought gasser, thinking of all the Wilys, and the  gasser 39 Dodge that races in the south, Quick & Dirty.  Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and none are more diverse than opinions on what an antique car should be restored as.  I don't like the  faux gassers made to be over exagerrated, like cartoon  on a t shirt, minus a Roth style creature  hanging out of it.  Gassers were a huge part of drag racing,  a quest to get more speed out of a car with the then marginal tires, by way of quick weight transfer to the back of the car.  As soon as Goodyear developed drag slicks with sticky rubber compounds, the whole design went away.  To me one of the most fascinating eras in drag history, much cooler than the cubic dollar stuff of today.  The original Ramchargers Plymouth was the grand daddy of them all, but just my opinion, wouldn't want to build a replica and drive on the street.  To each his own......

brian b