Worn breaker points - replacement source

PT81Jan

An often discussed issue caught me now too: poor quality breaker points.

In this specific case not the points of the distributor but the voltage breaker point of the regulator.

Basically the same ...

My battery has no longer been properly charged, so I checked the charging system and found that worn pair of points.  I tried to file them smooth, but these were so horribly burnt, that not much of the material was left. Besides the material was so soft that it would not have last long until the next failure.

Since I did not want to swap the whole regulator, I tried to find replacement contacts. I did not really expect to find one, but …

... long story short, I think I found a source which I think is worth to share and may help others with chunk breaker issues, too:

Got them at a supplier* which sells service parts for old pinball gaming machines ! NOT made in China like most at a fairly reasonable price (0.85€/each) ! Point material is tungsten and a file test makes me confident they will work a while. On top is that the diameter exactly is the same as of the original points. They have a small pin on the back side to stick it into the breaker arm and can be fixed with a slight punch to the pin. That`s it.

regulator-points.jpg.405f377aaa28a4dfc8628293aeb2b630.jpg

* is in Germany but I am pretty certain that gaming machine services exists almost everywhere in the world

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2