shock absorbers for my 53 truck

Peen

Can anyone verify the correct shock absorbers for my 53 1/2 ton? Only thing I could find online were Gabriel GA 82065. Has anyone else used these or is there something better. Was also told that front and rear shocks were the same numbers. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Monroe doesn't show an interchange for the gariel 82065 shock.  It's kind on an oddball with a 11/16 mounting bolt used.  Listed as 12.04 extended, 11.9 something compressed , 7.something travel.  Modifying the mounts (dia., width) may let you find a more common shock.  Do some measuring on your mounts to see what you can do with them.

What I have now is 20 1/2 extended, 12 1/2 collapsed and 11/16 mount. No numbers on shocks. Don't know if this is original or what original is supposed to be. Doesn't give dimensions in my manual. Can't find info online. Can someone tell me what the original dimensions were supposed to be?

Have you checked dimensions on a front and rear to determine if both are the same?  Measurements are usually center to center.  Those Gabriels sound like they should work.  Being a little short on the extended length does not concern me as much as being to long on the collapsed length. You're more likely to bottom the suspension out  when driving than extending it to the max.   Monroe does have  a dimension chart available so you can do some hunting through that if you wish

Thanks for the info. Apparently the guy who had this truck before me put the wrong shocks on it. The Gabriel 82065 is the right shock. Will be getting those soon. Summit Racing has four of them for about $112 and free shipping. Can't hardly beat that. Thanks again and have a great day. Steve.

Check that shock # on Ebay and Amazon.

I bought new shocks cheaper with free shipping by looking.

Just a thought.

DJ

• 1 year later...

Yep, my local Napa has been great for parts. I use their shocks on my cars and trucks. Something about going to a store and talking with other car guys and getting the parts you need is very satisfying compared to hitting a few keys and saving a few bucks. 

• Like 1