License plate restoration

1941coupe

Have you tried a google search for YOM plate restorers in your state? Here in Ontario there are a couple of enterprising individuals who restore and sell YOM plates that are quaranteed to meet our MTO requirements. Both companies usually have a good selection of restored plates to chose from. I have one set for my 1938 and have just ordered one for my 1946.

Unfortuately YOM plates here are basically treated as personalized plates, so yearly stickers are same price as a normal vehicle, not the bargan renewals of historic plated cars. But there is no restrictions on the YOM plated cars like our historic plates.

• Like 1

Sort of on the topic - Years ago, I was travelling south on 101 in San Jose (on a BSA Rocket III) easily exceeding 100MPH. CHP didn't like that and pulled me over, and noticed that my license plate looked really nice for an older motorcycle. I told him I had it restored, like the rest of the bike. He wrote me a ticket for a "modified license plate". No speeding citation. With the hassle it caused me at the DMV it would have been preferable to pay for the speeding ticket!

I did mine many years ago.  After doing the metal work 

I sprayed primer sealer on.  then after 24 hours I  painted the whole plate black, the color of the lettering and numbers.  Two coats let the paint dry and harden in the sun for a couple days.  Then the field yellow was sprayed on and allowed to tack. Then with a soft lint free cloth and some solvent, I removed the yellow from the raised letters and numbers.  I found this easier than spraying the field color then trying to paint the numbers and letters.

Check your state DMV laws, NY says the yom plates can not be repainted.  So if you need to submit a picture to get the plate approved you might want to wait till it's approved before you do the restoration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that in Calif. plates cannot be repainted/restored.  However it's kinda like a "don't ask, don't tell", deal.  That said, it's done all the time and the reg. would not  discourage me from doing the resto I have put off for years.

I saw a really nice and believeable restoration of plates a while back where the owner used two panels of MDF or plywood connected by a door hinge.  The plate, with background color previously applied, was attached (face up) to one side of the panel/hinge assembly.  The opposing panel was liberally coated with the second color and while still wet the panel mounted plate was rotated "closed", pressing the letters into the wet paint.  A little practice and a little tuning gets the surfaces parallel before committing to paint.  The result I saw was very convincing as original even to the degree that the color on the letters very slightly wrapped the edges and was very slightly wavey. 

• 1 month later...

http://www.fortech-online.com/

Jeff Fortech in Anaheim.  He has restored four sets of California plates for me.  He does great work. But:  he takes a while.   And, last I talked to him, he was thinking of moving to Florida.  Anyway, here is his phone#  (714) 393-4465

Good luck.

Jon

3 hours ago, jyinger said:

Jeff Fortech in Anaheim.  He has restored four sets of California plates for me.  He does great work. But:  he takes a while.   And, last I talked to him, he was thinking of moving to Florida.  Anyway, here is his phone#  (714) 393-4465

His EBay store still show Ca. as the Fortech location, So?

DJ

http://www.fortech-online.com/

Good luck.

Jon