new headliner

Peen

Excellent job is all I can say!?

• Thanks 1

Used a 4x8 sheet of vinyl shower liner material from Menards ($25) After making a cardboard mockup I transferred it to the vinyl but had to fasten some stainless steel straps I found at a local salvage yard in order to hold the shape. ($14) After spray gluing some rubber flooring material on to that, I spray glued the suede material I got from Joann Fabrics ($12). Hadn't planned on doing around the window at first and had to buy more material to finish my project. They didn't have any more of the first material I got so I used a slightly darker color for around the sides above the doors. ($10) Actually looked better. According to the Mrs. ( and she's always right ) It was made so that it can be taken out with just a few screws so that I can paint the inside of the cab next spring. For around $70 bucks I am happy with it. Glad you guys like it.

The vinyl shower liner material is actually called FRP Panel. ( embossed fiberglass reinforced plastic wall panel ) They make two thicknesses. Be sure to use the .090" inch. I used stainless steel to make the three ribs on top but I suppose you could use 3/32" x 1 or 2" inch aluminum bar stock or something similar. The stainless worked really well though. I left about two inches short on each end of the ribs for plastic only so it can slide in above the sun visor lip and attach to the back above the window. Also used two short ribs on the side above the door to hold that curve shape. Tried using liquid nails but it still needed to be pop riveted on each end of the ribs. Use the flat side of the panel for material side. The pebble side is real shiny and doesn't adhere well to glue. Made my panels a little too big to start with so I could tweak them in a little at a time for a good fit. After installing the top I used cardboard mockup for side panels and then transferred those to 1/4" plywood. If you drill the mounting holes first you can make the plywood a little bit too big also and then tweak that in so you will get a good fit using an ice pick for hole locating. Tried to keep my holes in the plywood about an 1/8 of an inch below the mounting holes above the door so that I could force the panel up slightly for a good fit. By the way, mine actually looks better in person than what the photo shows because of the glare from the camera flash. It's not near as silvery as the picture seems to show. It is a little bit darker. Hope this helps and good luck with your project. Steve. If I can be of any help let me know.

Edited by Peen
  • Thanks 1

Wife and I just finished the new sun visors to go with my new headliner. Passengers side is actually a drivers side that I "remanufactured" and it does work pretty close to a regular pass side visor. Plates were made of masonite and I made them a bit larger than original. Hope you guys like them. Comments?

001_(2).JPG