1950 one ton

Guest rngr5201

Guest rngr5201

I just purchased a 1950 1 ton B2. It runs Ok and the body is decent but there are a few things that need to be changed/updated. It has split rims, what drop center rims will fit? How about the tire spacing on the rear duals? It also has the 6 volt, positive ground electrical system that I'd like to upgrade to a 12 volt negative ground. What needs to be replaced? What's a good source for interiors and small items such as knobs and exterior lettering?

Thanks

Guest P15-D24

First, you don't have "split" rims, you have lock ring rims. World of difference and any decent truck shop will work on them no problem. For duals the one tons use a special "coined" lug rim, which interlocks with a single lug nut for both rims. Only used on the 1 ton 2WD models. Tire spacing with the stock rims is tight, 6.00 x 16 is about as large as you can go. Why do you want to upgrade to 12V? They will run fine on 6. New radio/stereo or ???? If yo do upgrade you need to make sure you wiring harness is in excellent condition.

He's right about the rims, but there are 2 different styles-one for duals, and one for singles (different offsets). I converted my '52 to 12v using an internally regulated GM alternator. Changed all the bulbs-but haven't done the resister for the fuel guage yet (sending unit is bad so its not a big deal). I replaced most of the wiring harness (1 wire at a time), but I want to reroute the wiring to bypass everything going through the amp meter. This is a potential trouble area when adding accessories. I'll be installing a voltmeter which is a better indicator of what is going on with the charging system anyway. I can send you pics of the 2 different budd wheel styles. Good luck-Mike