what is a good grade of oil to use?

37silverstreak

I drained the 30 year old oil from my engine today and pulled the pan. Good news, no signs of water/antifreeze in the oil and very little sludge in the pan! So, I want to clean up the oil pan and pickup screen. I've got a new set of pan gaskets on order from NAPA and would like to get her closed up yet this week before it gets to cold to work in an unheated machine shed. Just wondering what you guys are using for oil- i.e. brand and weight etc.? This engine has not been rebuilt. Thanks!  

In a solid engine, you can run detergent oil safely. We use Amzoil, which also has sufficient ZDDP to protect the cam lobes and lifters. There’s always a lot of debate about the necessity of using oil with ZDDP – some say it’s not necessary – but a little extra “insurance” is much cheaper than replacing the camshaft and/or the lifters!!! Thx . . .

• Like 1

I agree with DrDoctor on using detergent oil if your engine is clean inside. Using detergent oil,I would go with a synthetic 0-30 wt in the winter,and a 0-40 wt in the summer.

If your engine hasn't been cleaned out inside,go with a conventional 30 wt non-detergent oil in the winter,and 40 wt non-detergent oil in the summer.

As for brands to use,I prefer Havoline conventional oils and Mobile 1 synthetics. I will hurt anyone that puts a quart of Quaker State in any of my engines,though.

If you use a non-detergent oil,change often.

• Like 1

I prefer a quality 10w40 diesel rated oil in older engines.  It will have a good wear and detergent additive package.  Frequent changes are more important than brand IMO.  If the engine is subject to really cold temps, and/or frequent cold starts, a synthetic may be called for.

My old car mechanic's advice is to use detergent oil if your car has an oil filter, non-detergent oil if it has no filter. My '39 Plymouth sedan has a filter, my '38 Dodge pickup never had one. So I use detergent oil in one and not in the other. If you've been running non-dengent oil for a long time and then switch to detergent be sure to change the oil and filter soon after as a lot of gunk will break loose.

Peter