Almost totaled the '37 last night

thebeebe5

Headed East on a local major 6 lane street doing about 35-40mph and a fellow pulled out a left turn in front of me with cell phone in hand.  I got on the binders and horn, and as it became apparent I was going to hit him I turned the wheel to the left.  Was braking hard enough that the tires started to skid.  I slid sideways and exactly parallel to him and braced for impact.  Heard a clunk or felt a thump or something as I came to a stop.  He shot off into traffic narrowly missing another opportunity to ruin someone's night.  I gathered my nerves, entered the westbound inside lane as another motorist was kind enough to hold it open for me.  Made a u-turn at the next break in the median and headed to my destination which was three blocks further up the road.  Had a look at the car and found I must not have hit him....  Seems the only issue noticeable is a fair bit of oil from the air cleaner that sloshed out and all over the engine compartment and right front fender.  But I felt like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs for the rest of the night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

glad you avoided the accident...the man that sped off....probably does not have license or insurance and a host of other legality issues....

Thanks.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Happens all too often around here.

Stupid people and their cell phones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thebeebe5,

It’s incredibly fortunate that you didn’t collide with the other driver. It appears that, at the very worst, you may’ve soiled yourself (which is probably what I would’ve done . . .). And here I tho’t that the east coast had a monopoly on the world’s worst drivers, and I’m convinced Baltimore still retains that title . . . Regards . . . . .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Sorry to laugh but “dodge-d”. I’m super glad your safe and the car is too. I wonder what the clunk sound was

A few minutes after I though a turd on the floorboard, but it turned out to be the small aluminum floor jack I keep in the trunk.   Usually have it hemmed in with the spare against the drivers wheel well, but the spare slid in the mayhem and freed the jack.  

All’s well. 

??

• Like 1

Several years ago I was waiting at a rural intersection watching a long string of custom cars "parade" slowly by. A driver ran the stop light and collided with a very nice hot rod. He saw the car coming and swerved, yet the collided. Result: some dents and scratches on the hot rod and a pile OD plastic, and severe damage to the front bumper and fender. Later, He drove off,she did not! 

I am so glad that you are OK....  If my 1937 Plymouth Panel got smooshed, I would cry. 

I am still collecting parts for it.  I really don't want to go through the searching thing again...  I am short hood sides, rear fenders, a complete grille, and 4 "Plymouth" rims. This has been a long wait, I hope to find these parts someday, so I can finish the car and start driving it!!!  I just hope that some idiot on a cell phone doesn't ruin it for me when the project is finished.