1949 Wayfarer Carburetor

Thanks Merle Coggins for the replay. I have not picked the car up yet. My on Gunnery Sgt is holding it for me and he told me that he has tried to rebuild the carburetor but it leaks so I figured just buy a new one so that we can get it running.

Are you referring to this highlighted area is where I need to look?

carb number.jpg

What will this number tell me?

Thanks in advanced for your help. I am a total newbie!!!!!

Edited by Hooliganxmotorsports

Your Gunnery Sgt doesn't know how to rebuild or fix a Wayfarer carb.

You could buy a rebuilt Carter Ball and Ball as shown  for $200.00 - $300.00 online hoping it's done right... or have a local carb shop if one's left rebuild it for you   or better...

Do some more searching here on how to rebuild that simple carb by yourself if you have some knowledge and confidence.?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Most likely the needle and seat is leaking or float level too high and flooding the carb.... causing leaking out around the throttle plate and top seam.

A sunk float could be a factor too.

• Like 1

If you're determined to do it yourself (you and your sgt.) then Roberts Motor Parts likely has the rebuild parts you need. 800-231-3180. Just got a kit for my 50 Dodge Coronet carb.  It's a Stromberg, but they have Carter stuff, too.  

Edited by ddesjard