1940 Chrysler Windsor Coupe brake conversion

dangulo

11 hours ago, Andydodge said:

BTW...........when you pull the clutch pedal mechanism apart there are a couple of pairs of diecast spherical bearing "balls" that can be quite worn.......I found that the exact same things but made of a plastic/neoprene or nylon material was used in Oz Valiant clutch assemblys, at least here in oz up to the mid 1970's.....so I'd be fairly confident that they were also used in US mopars up to the 70's also...........basically doing the exact same job as the 1940's diecast pieces........andyd   

Oh thanks for the heads up Andy. I will look into that! Hopefully the shop manual shows a drawing.. 

These - torque shaft pivot bearings?? Part # h-132 from Andy Bernbaum- (oldmoparts.com) Takes 4 at $5 each.

DJ

Clutch Parts, 1930-1960 Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Desoto.html

Sorry but that only shows the list, no picture. It is easy to find however, just more effort for you. Oh well. If often hate my lack of compoutter knowledge!  ?

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

Yep..thats the things.....just went and looked in my Bernbaum paper cattle dog.....eerr.catalog...............lol.......theres even a picture of them....so much for me looking thru the catalog..........lol................andyd

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After researching what MC would work best with my Chrysler and most importantly my skill level, I decided on the ECI's MC kit EC-441.

This will be the next phase of my project... The first thing I did was to stare at the individual components for about 2 hours and then some more later... lol

I read and read and re-read and re-read the instructions and then it started finally click. For the most part, I was pretty successful with the install of the bell crank and connecting rods.

Where I came to a little snag is in regards to the clutch  release over center spring connecting to the spring bracket.

My thought is that I will need to some how raise the spring bracket with a 2" to 3" inch spacer and bolt.. 

In the meantime, I am taking pictures and sending them to ECI for a problem solving question. 

If anyone has encountered this issue  please let me know what your solution... 

Below are some pictures of the installed components, noting is tighten down but so far everything lines up and seems to be moving in the right direction...

As you can see in the final picture, the left side of the bell crank will interfere with the spring on the clutch.

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

On 4/2/2019 at 1:36 AM, Andydodge said:

Yep..thats the things.....just went and looked in my Bernbaum paper cattle dog.....eerr.catalog...............lol.......theres even a picture of them....so much for me looking thru the catalog..........lol................andyd

My babies :) thethe floppy ear one is our newest addition to the family. All are dogs are from the humane society,  begs the question of some one could give these guys up

20161223_150450_compress_60.jpg

20190309_100002_compress_65.jpg

20190308_121258_compress_64.jpg

They look good......are very intelligent dogs..........I'm not a dog expert but those two look like Oz cattle dogs or blue healers...........andyd

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

They look good......are very intelligent dogs..........I'm not a dog expert but those two look like Oz cattle dogs or blue healers...........andyd

Yea they are :) saw your post and had to reply. I'm keeping up with the progress as I too have a 1940 chrysler windsor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a great weekend at Viva #22, it's time to get back to this bad girl!

Just a re-cap, the pedal assembly has been cleaned using my parts cleaner and fresh coat of paint.

I installed the brake pedal and clutch pedal with the exception of the over center spring which will be address later ;)

Started mocking the plate which will attach the MC, from the instructions it says there should be three holes and might have to drill one but of course with my luck i had to drill two LOL.. I traced a template to get as accurate and leveled as possible... not gonna even pretend that was easy... it was a bitch but got it done so pretty happy with that. Tomorrow, I will double check everything and if all still looks good will move to forward to re-plumbing the brake lines.. that should be fun... I think (yikes!)

IMG_5549.JPG.0d5f3bf69698489aa770c334d092b92c.JPGIMG_5550.JPG.d848830854d2ba3563dd44a7e7f788ee.JPGIMG_5560.JPG.969b7fc393c143aabe61beff248187cf.JPGIMG_5562.JPG.9864ebf37ee18755c8ed6f04e343367d.JPG

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, dangulo said:

After researching what MC would work best with my Chrysler and most importantly my skill level, I decided on the ECI's MC kit EC-441.

This will be the next phase of my project... The first thing I did was to stare at the individual components for about 2 hours and then some more later... lol

I read and read and re-read and re-read the instructions and then it started finally click. For the most part, I was pretty successful with the install of the bell crank and connecting rods.

Where I came to a little snag is in regards to the clutch  release over center spring connecting to the spring bracket.

My thought is that I will need to some how raise the spring bracket with a 2" to 3" inch spacer and bolt.. 

In the meantime, I am taking pictures and sending them to ECI for a problem solving question. 

If anyone has encountered this issue  please let me know what your solution... 

Below are some pictures of the installed components, noting is tighten down but so far everything lines up and seems to be moving in the right direction...

As you can see in the final picture, the left side of the bell crank will interfere with the spring on the clutch.

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

On my 41 P12 I moved the bracket that holds the spring. Just towards the front of the vehicle on the frame is a rivet that goes through the cross brace. I drilled out the rivet and bolted the bracket there. Works perfectly and clears everything.

5 hours ago, Kahunah said:

On my 41 P12 I moved the bracket that holds the spring. Just towards the front of the vehicle on the frame is a rivet that goes through the cross brace. I drilled out the rivet and bolted the bracket there. Works perfectly and clears everything.

@Kahunah That's an awesome solution.. Thanks for the feedback, would you mind posting a picture of that? Would also love to see your 41..

Thanks 

Danny

3 hours ago, Kahunah said:

This is the location and bolt I used. The picture is from under the car looking up towards the m/c rod. You can see the spring and bracket above the frame. Hope this helps!

IMG_1144.jpg

This definitely helps! Very cool solution - Many thanks to you my friend ;)