subframe swap

jgreg53

there is no V8 or V6, slant 6 or larger flathead that will JUST DROP in to the bay....you will be fabricating up a lot of stuff for the install........but again, your car, your tools, time and skill being pressed here.  As I tell everyone, put it on paper long before pulling apart or starting any modification.  Keep in mind any mod you do will more than not be the start of a series of other smaller and system related mods.  When you start this you will see the ever shifting line in the sand if you do not think ahead and stay on target.  KNOW how your systems integrate.  Changing midstream will be costly in time, money and material.   Many folks will want the early Dakota due to the wheel bolt pattern but that is just too easy to overcome to restrict one's self on finding an early frame.   Available space to work both frames with body off each is needed, time and proper tools and welding skills.  Also there is no known bolt by number kit or procedure out there that I am aware of....I find them relatively easy to do.  Properly done frame graft will require body off for best results.  

Mopar motor mounts are avail. for your car but they weld in . Clear stock steering with the built-in offset to the passenger side about 1-1/2".

See butchescoolstuff.com  

Do not think the stock 3 sp/bell housing are up to the task.

With the Mopar LA engines the original trans that fit/work with the original motors are  many- up to you . Auto trans/manual trans,  etc.

Ply_Dodge 1928-1956 - Eng. & Trans Mounting Kits - Butch's Cool Stuff.html

Second gen Camaro is a better fit because of the front steer but it is a little wide. Not so wide that it’s unusable but offset wheels will have to be used or narrow control arms from Fatman. I went the Fatman route. 

Don’t let anyone tell you any of this stuff is easy, they’re either BSing your or paid someone else to do it. Just swapping engines is a fair amount of work, subframing Correctly takes time, skill and patience. 

post-6454-13585367669158_thumb.jpgpost-6454-1358536767002_thumb.jpgpost-6454-13585367670729_thumb.jpgpost-6454-13585367678643_thumb.jpgpost-6454-13585367679743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1