1951 Fargo 400cid on Dakota chassis

f_armer

10 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Dang Farmer you must really hate those tires! 

As soon as you started smoking them my ape brain started telling me to go lean my iphone against a tree and see if I can throw chunks of my radials onto my neighbor’s roof across the street. The human part of my brain said yeah get him! Haha half ape half child in the body of a goofy 40 year old. I think I left enough rubber on my street already this week. And two blocks over. And a little in my own driveway. 

But none of those tire fryings hold a candle to your Australian style smoke show. I’m not even gonna try to compete!

But a race... Even with my giant motor I bet you could get me off the line with our trucks how they are now. It’d be stupid fun to line em up at the track. On paper I should walk you in the 1/4 but I bet the 1/8 would be real close.

Have you started driving that beast around yet? Shakedown runs always make me nervous man I hate breaking down and did a lot of it learning how to wrench, which I’m definitely still doing... enough typing I gotta watch your video again

I'm 48 but sometimes the 20yr old shows up in my head! Haha!

I don't think you'd have any trouble beating me in any kind of race 1/8 or the 1/4, just the sound of your truck would scare mine away!

But,  mine isn't short of tire smoking power for sure!

It would be nice if I had a posi rear end though. 

I've been busy with other things lately but I do take the fargo for a rip one in a while. I've put maybe 25 miles on her. No problems have showed up yet,  she runs good, shifts good, steers good.

I haven't put a license plate on it yet so I don't stray too far from home. 

And exhaust system? What's that? Haha!

20190228_203204-2016x1134.jpg

Ha! 3” dumps straight off the headers? I was wondering where the heddman shortys outlets pointed- are your downpipes just straight uncurved pipe with a slash cut end? 

They sound awesome and make the tire smoke shoot out the back & sides for dramatic effect- I didn’t even notice it was a one tire burnout. 

Looks like we’re running the same milodon deep offroad truck oil pan too. Mine is an old one with a passenger side dipstick bung.

Edited by Radarsonwheels

It's 2.5" pipe. I just welded them on to the collectors on an angle.  The hedman shorties kind of point at an angle towards the transmission so I temporarily wanted something that didn't make my oil pan black until I get around to making my exhaust

my pan has the dipstick on the pass side also.  It has a ford style thread in dipstick.  I got a flexible steel braided   milodon dipstick, but it's a tight squeeze between the header and dipstick in one spot. 

the dipstick rests on the header  where it comes out of the pan.  But so far it hasn't been a problem.

I think I did get both tires churning part way through the burnout. 

• Like 1

The sad thing for me is that my truck was purpose built for racing. Now I'm spending most my time neutering it.  

Its racing days are pretty much over...I love my wife way to much to tell her otherwise.

After racing Stock Cars, Drags, and Land Speed Racing...its time to be done with it.

I've been watching you guys build your street able race machines and really enjoying it. I truly want to race you guys for pinks.....!

Oh.....except I don't have a pink, I'll have to get one of those things....my 50 has been "off the grid", racing the wind for bragging rights.

I joined a local Car Club with the intent to relax and enjoy the hobby of hot rods.....but boy howdy....I'm a long way from turn signals and brake lights.

Cheers to you guys, f_armer and radarsonwheels. 

• Thanks 1

Time to add Drag races to the BBQ. No vehicle license  required, no cops for miles and miles!

The road in front of your house is a dead-end about 1 mile long, Perfect. Just have someone at the last house ( 1 or 2 houses near the dead end if I remember correctly) with a phone to make sure no cars headed your way!!

?☠️

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Haha 1

I think drag racing flatheads would maybe be even more fun! See who can shift smoothly and put the old iron to the test. 

Hafta do -no time- like the grudge racers write in shoe polish on their windows that don’t want to let people know what they’re capable of except in this case it would just be more fun to win than to run a 23 second 1/4 mile

Wish I lived closer to the bbq

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I’ve done slow races on my motorcycle, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen it with trucks. 

I think its more with the big trucks stuff with 2 speeds etc..

17 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

those slow races on MTCs are not as easy as folks would think......followed second with a female standing on the back pegs going for the weenie...….I'll stop there....

I've seen videos of that game, but never played it. Any weight shift at that low speed is very detrimental to the MC's balance.

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, Merle Coggins said:

those slow races on MTCs are not as easy as folks would think

I had a 1969 Triumph 650 hard tail, that bike was so light, could "almost" stand still and just balance it while standing up on the pegs.

The one and only time I participated in a slow race, I was riding against big Hogs ... I made the first round and laughed ... This is cheating and I dropped out of the race.

Good times indeed  :D

Im still alive.

I peek in here once in awhile, but ya, ive been busy. Crops are in the ground., but we are super dry, we really havent had a significant rain in 2 years. And barely any snow last winter. Ive tried every trick in the book. Last night we had light sprinkle, and i see i left the windows down on my truck, so maybe im on to something!

I havent done anything with the fargo since spring hit, hopefully ill do a bit more when i get time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd pop in and see what's new. 

I haven't really done much on my fargo.  

I got side tracked,  I bought a 1977 orange and black macho power wagon that I want to restore, and I wanted to get practiced up on body work skills first. 

So for practice I decided to start body work on my old 1978 d100 shortbox. 

Well it's very time consuming!!

When it's done,  I'll do the power wagon,  then maybe the fargo. 

But it could be years away. It takes me a long time, but it's getting done right. 

20210111_174711_copy_756x567.jpg

20210213_180140_copy_756x567.jpg

20210217_092034_copy_756x1008.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, f_armer said:

Just thought I'd pop in and see what's new. 

I haven't really done much on my fargo.  

I got side tracked,  I bought a 1977 orange and black macho power wagon that I want to restore, and I wanted to get practiced up on body work skills first. 

So for practice I decided to start body work on my old 1978 d100 shortbox. 

Well it's very time consuming!!

When it's done,  I'll do the power wagon,  then maybe the fargo. 

But it could be years away. It takes me a long time, but it's getting done right. 

20210111_174711_copy_756x567.jpg

20210213_180140_copy_756x567.jpg

20210217_092034_copy_756x1008.jpg

Love the color. The guy that painted mine took it upon himself to add some black to the paint. ?

90dodge.jpg

20 minutes ago, B1B Keven said:

Love the color. The guy that painted mine took it upon himself to add some black to the paint. ?

90dodge.jpg

Looks good. I haven't seen very many purple trucks. So he tinted plum crazy with more black?

I decided to go with the modern plum crazy, I was kind of hesitant at first but it's growing on me. 

I'm going to do hood, top of fenders and door tops satin black. 

Kind of like the old dusters had for a paint scheme.