The 4th Annual P-15 Picnic in the UK (pictures)

Robin (UK)

We just held our 4th Annual P-15 Picnic in England and were honoured to be joined by well known Plymouth enthusiasts Mark & Tracey Duggan and Greg & Kathy Gonya, who travelled from the US to spend the weekend with us.
35 people and a very nice selection of cars arrived at the hotel on Saturday and we enjoyed a drive out to Twinwood Airfield, where we had arranged a private group visit  to the museum buildings and preserved control tower. Twinwood is an historic WW2 site, the airfield from where Glenn Miller departed for France on his ill-fated flight in December 1944.
On Saturday evening we all shared a lovely dinner and drinks, rounded off with a light-hearted quiz, courtesy of William and Biddy.
Sunday morning saw more cars meet us at the hotel before we left for a 30-minute cruise to Old Warden Aerodrome and The Shuttleworth Collection, which is one of the world's finest collections of airworthy vintage aircraft. The guided tours we took were highly informative and the range of aircraft, cars, motorcycles and other items on display is remarkable.
The final tally of 46-48 Mopars was:

4x Plymouth Business Coupes
  4x Plymouth Club Coupes
  1x Plymouth 2-Door Sedan
  1x Plymouth Convertible
  1x DeSoto SP15 Club Coupe
  1x Dodge 4-Door Sedan
  1x Chrysler Club Coupe

There was a nice selection of 'guest cars' too.
Dean, Chris and I will announce details of next year's P-15 Picnic as soon as we can.

Come and join us... Everyone's welcome!

With thanks to Simon and Colin for the pictures...

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

image00029.jpeg

image00031.jpeg

image00037.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)
  • Like 5

A VERY nice display of 40's Mopars,but might I make a suggestion?

Maybe you could change the picnic name to "P-15/D-24 Picnic",or even "40's Mopar Picnic"? You might draw cars from people that aren't club members that way.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

A VERY nice display of 40's Mopars,but might I make a suggestion?

Maybe you could change the picnic name to "P-15/D-24 Picnic",or even "40's Mopar Picnic"? You might draw cars from people that aren't club members that way.

Suggestions are always welcome but this one's definitely going to remain as The P-15 Picnic.
The three of us who organise it are all Plymouth owners and the initial concept was a meeting for P15s. We widened out the invitations after a (very reasonable) request from William (AKA Norman Pitkin) to include Chrysler and the other Mopar brands.
There are plenty of broader car meets over here, and we wouldn't turn anyone away, but we all enjoy the exclusivity and scale of this gathering, and it's got a unique personal feel.

42959078_2129178760427605_2095628935877361664_n.jpg

• Like 5

Robin..........looks like another great turnout, congratulations to you all............andyd

• Like 1

We had a great weekend with our English Plymouth brothers and sisters!  From the fantastic period appropriate hotel, to the lovely little pub down the road, to the marvelous historic tours provided. And the warm greeting received by all we met along the way, and I can’t forget to mention how welcome the three gents that arranged it all made each of us feel. The weekend was fantastic and over all to quickly. 

Delighted to have met everyone in person and to have made a few more friends over the weekend. I’m absolutely sure we will return in years to come.

Take a look at the pic attached and I’m sure you see the smile on my face as Robin gave me the wheel for a few miles of smiles. 

48F718B7-F947-492A-A4E3-E28B7F1A5347.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rallyace said:

Mark, let us know the next time you plan a trip for the picnic.

Hope you can make it someday... the more the merrier!
PM me your email address if you'd like to be included in our circular mail-outs for news of The P-15 Picnic.

Big thanks to Chris, Dean & Robin for organising the weekend, looking forward to next year.

Nice photos........

On 10/2/2018 at 9:59 PM, Dennis Detweiler said:

It would be interesting to hear the history behind some of these cars. Fantastic display!

Mines the '48 grey business coupe which was imported to UK in 2011 and I've owned since 2013.  It came out of the LA plant, I only know some of it's history from the late eighties onwards gleaned from a large wad of receipts that came with the car and it seems it spent most of it's time in the San Francisco bay area with owners living in Freemont, Oakland and Los Altos that I know of.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, Robin (UK) said:

42959078_2129178760427605_2095628935877361664_n.jpg

That would make a nice toolbox/bumper sticker?

Regards to all ............ Simon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 61farnham said:

Big thanks to Chris, Dean & Robin for organising the weekend, looking forward to next year.

Nice photos........

Mines the '48 grey business coupe which was imported to UK in 2011 and I've owned since 2013.  It came out of the LA plant, I only know some of it's history from the late eighties onwards gleaned from a large wad of receipts that came with the car and it seems it spent most of it's time in the San Francisco bay area with owners living in Freemont, Oakland and Los Altos that I know of.

That would make a nice toolbox/bumper sticker?

Regards to all ............ Simon.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed the weekend, Simon.
Thanks again for the great pictures.
Glad you like the flag design... I guess we'll have to think about stickers!

• Like 1

Hey where are all the trucks! ?

congrats Mark on getting to drive Robins ride, I was lucky enough to be  driven by Robin thru London a couple years back. Can't imagine driving a left wheel on the "wrong side" LOL

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 9:04 PM, Brent B3B said:

Hey where are all the trucks! ?

congrats Mark on getting to drive Robins ride, I was lucky enough to be  driven by Robin thru London a couple years back. Can't imagine driving a left wheel on the "wrong side" LOL

Such an honor to take the wheel, (and brave of Robin for doing so!). Truth be told, no problems driving lefty on the left, plenty of experience from two years tenancy in Ireland in the 90’s, and I’ve spent a lot of time in Sydney Australia in the past 18 months for work. Would be nice to see some trucks in a future picnic! I think Tom Poulter will be the first to bring one when he’s finished his own.

Edited by Mark D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1