Flathead blowing oil out .

Hi , I wonder if some of you guys can give me a bit of information on my 218. Was out today with the truck when I started getting a smell of burning oil , when I checked there is oil on the rear fender and round the rear of the truck . Having checked underneath it looks like it could have come from the crankcase breather . The engine has done 65000 mile and I’m quite sure it has not had a rebuild. If I need parts for the engine are they available and do you think suppliers will ship to the UK . 

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Trevor 

How much oil is in the crankcase?  Kinda sounds like piston rings are not sealing well, allowing blow-by on expansion after ignition...you can check by rigging up a hose on the draft tube and running it up towards the carburetor...rev up the engine from the carb linkage while under the hood and you can easily tell what's blowing out of the draft tube, tho ya might want to aim that hose into a coffee can for safety :cool:

• Like 1

JB Neal  makes a good point. I might add that it may be possible that the oil return slots from the valve gallery may be plugged or not flowing well. I wouldn't be a problem to remove the valve covers and make sure they are cleaned out. I can't remember just what size those returns are off hand. Oil must pool somewhat to lube the upper part of the tappets but not much above their oil holes though. The bottom of the return holes help to maintain that level but if they have residue built up it could cause oil to overflow out of the road draft tube. As far as building the engine, there are plenty of parts available. Short of shipping costs, most all will likely ship overseas to the UK but may want to verify funds before shipping. Vintage Power Wagons has new and NOS, Bernbaums (oldmoparts.com), and Roberts Motor Parts have pistons, rings and bearings. Egge makes them to order. RockAuto.com has many of these parts as well.

Fernando,

Thanks for posting the Vintage Power Wagon Catalog.

I don't have one, but I know some of the stuff crosses over.

Another guy in my town and a couple of the Power Wagons and a beautiful 57 4wd W100 version.

he has mentioned that group before.

Dodge 1957.bmp

20 hours ago, ehadams said:

Fernando,

Thanks for posting the Vintage Power Wagon Catalog.

I don't have one, but I know some of the stuff crosses over.

Another guy in my town and a couple of the Power Wagons and a beautiful 57 4wd W100 version.

he has mentioned that group before.