Bath time

Russell Winje

With the new rear end seal in place, the motor running strong, driving good without lock up issues to the rear tires, I thought it was a good time to get the pressure washer out and blow old dirt and grease away.  When I was done, and the car sat in the warm sun to dry all afternoon, the motor block showed old silver paint where old dirt had been and the oil pan was green.  The linkage shined at the joints.  I liberally applied WD40 white lithium spray.  When I drove it, the previous chatter of the friction clutch was greatly reduced, nearly gone all together.  The shifting was smoother too.  Things are looking up for the ole girl after years of sitting.  Starts much easier now and idles with a smooth sound at the tail pipe, no missing.  Next I will start looking at electrical to make sure the windshield wipers work, heater blows hot air, turn signals function, maybe the clock, maybe the radio, and make all interior lights work.

Edited by Russell Winje
  • Like 3

Russ, my 54 has a 265, which is silver. trans too is silver. oil pan is not green. i keep meaning to lube the linkage joints. the trans is very difficult to get in drive after not using the car for a while, but loosens up after driving a day or so. i am afraid the issue is in the steering column, but may just be the linkages. i will try my pressure washer.     capt den

It’s my understanding that the engines in post-WWII were painted silver, but I can verify that. The engine in our car’s light blue. I’m convinced it isn’t the original engine, much less the original color. The exact heritage of the engine, and the source of its color, are a mystery. However, I have no plans on changing the color, because it’s very well done, apparently different from the norm, and I like that. Regards . . .