Dodge T110L Eaton axle

Twatts44

Hi, first post on here so be nice!

I own a Dodge T110L with a 4 speed box and single speed axle. 

I’d like to try and up the cruising speed a bit/drop the Rpm, the current axle has got a ratio of 7.16.

Been looking into changing the axle for a Eaton 1350, has anybody fitted one to this model of truck? Fairly straightforward installation? And do people think it will actually alter the speed much? Not after a lot more but a little would be nice! 

Sorry about all the questions!

729652C4-BD0B-4DF0-B5F0-56C87CB73D77.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello and welcome. You definitely have the right idea about doing an axle swap. It is going to be the best and most cost effective way to up your cruising speed. I would guess you could probably go as high as a 4.10 or a bit lower say around 5.0. I can't help you with axle selection for this but surely someone else here will have more specifics.

Very cool truck you got. Enjoy!

Jeff

5.83 to 8.11 is what you will get in an old Dodge Eaton 1350 2 speed axle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback people, working with a base figure of 3000rpm it works out that I would gain 10mph going from my current 7.16 axle to a 5.83 2 speed axle,

any ideas on what sort of rpm a t110 engine is happy sitting at?

Welcome to the forum. That is a Canadian built truck. Most of the 25” flatheads were rated at 3600 RPM’s.  Wanting to run at 3000 RPM’s is asking a lot of these flatheads without doing oil system mods. I wouldn’t run these motors much past about 75-80% of rated RPM’s. That’s just me talking and like they say, “talk is cheap”.LOL. What model command car do you have? I have a ‘41 WC 12(Salad). Again welcome to the forum.

15 hours ago, Dozerman51 said:

Welcome to the forum. That is a Canadian built truck. Most of the 25” flatheads were rated at 3600 RPM’s.  Wanting to run at 3000 RPM’s is asking a lot of these flatheads without doing oil system mods. I wouldn’t run these motors much past about 75-80% of rated RPM’s. That’s just me talking and like they say, “talk is cheap”.LOL. What model command car do you have? I have a ‘41 WC 12(Salad). Again welcome to the forum.

What makes you believe you need to do “oil system mods” to run these engines at rated RPM? I just completed a 1900 mile trip running up around 3000 RPM for much of it. 

I ran the Eaton 1350 2 speed mentioned above  for 10 years all around Seattle hauling loads here and there..

55 was about tops but with vacuum shift it was a gas to drive and fun with the fast axle shifts!

Single speed axle....................boring... slow down  a couple impatient drivers... too bad.

• Like 1

Run 8.25's with the 2 speed if you do go that route.

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I ran the Eaton 1350 2 speed mentioned above  for 10 years all around Seattle hauling loads here and there..

55 was about tops but with vacuum shift it was a gas to drive and fun with the fast axle shifts!

Single speed axle....................boring... slow down  a couple impatient drivers... too bad.

i concur about the 1350.  i love the one in my b-1-fa, it really does make the big  more driveable.truck

edit: i hate the auto-link bullsh1t in the text editor.  it makes typing replies nonsensical when it jumps the cursor back to the front of the auto-linked word.  stupid.

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Twatts44 said:

Thanks for all the advice people, better start the hunt for a Eaton axle, could be fun sourcing one in the UK!

May think about 8.25 in the future depending on how I get on with the axle

Too bad you are so far away...I could help you right out!?

• 1 year later...

Apologies for dragging up

an old thread but I have possibly found a 1350 vacuum shift axle, 

Now my truck having never had a vacuum shift on it has none of the parts for it to work.

What parts do I need to get with the axle to make it work? Also does anyone have a diagram of the layout etc of the system from a manual?

Thanks!

not necessarily the best overview but the Dodge Pilothouse Club has parts manuals on their website: http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/ph_parts/pilothouse.htm also has repair manual: http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/manual/manual.htm

there are a few parts that you'll need, including a fitting to fit on the carb for the vacuum source, along with all of the hard lines leading back to the axle.  fwiw, the original 2-speed equipped trucks also had a special speedometer that also had a vacuum fitting, so that it would still read correctly when shifting the axle.  additionally, you'll need a shift button/pull cable to actuate the "shift", usually mounted on the gear selector tower.  the cable runs to a diverter mounted on the firewall, which is plumbed into the piping between the carb and the axle.  don't forget the vacuum diaphragm on the axle itself.

PA210006.jpg

P2190017.jpg

261-dodge-006.jpg

16283-D24-C93-F-4-F6-F-B502-2-F03-F68761

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallytoo said:

....fwiw, the original 2-speed equipped trucks also had a special speedometer that also had a vacuum fitting, so that it would still read correctly when shifting the axle. 

visual aid

ECE91DDF-9CD0-4045-9D89-4C3247291046.jpeg.a834e2fe12ae8360ba0022361c7ec7d8.jpeg

I think this is just a regular speedometer and this adapter threads onto it ? 

Nothing special on a 2 speed axle truck speedo.

Just screw the adapter into it.

18 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Nothing special on a 2 speed axle truck speedo.

Just screw the adapter into it.

just don't lose the little 1" long key!

Yeah....the little 1" short speedo cable?

Lovely, thanks everyone, 

Doesn’t look to drastic to get it working then, as long as the axle comes with the diaphragm on it I should be able to get it working with other parts if It comes to it and just keep an eye out for the proper parts! 

• Like 1