Engine stumbling

tundrajax

I was driving my 55 Plymouth 230 to a car show and I was almost there and turned the corner to a different street and the car starts stumbling. I limp the car home but between 0-35 it shakes and stumbles on itself. It did go to 40 and ran decent. I changed the spark plugs and wires. 2 plugs had oil on them the back 2 cylinders. Started it up after the tune and up same thing. The new back 2 plugs where wet after a few minutes. I'm guessing I need to do a compression test? Maybe the rings just decided to go out? 

Here is a quick video of it running. Any help would be great.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2D0A84B

Hello and welcome. Did your Plymouth run well and then suddenly start the shaking? A few ideas. I would do a compression test on each cylinder to compare the readings. You can also remove one spark plug at a time while it is idling to see if any cylinders are dead. Also, check inside the distributor cap for carbon tracking and cracks. I noticed in your video that your fuel line going to the carburetor from the fuel pump  appears to be quite close to the exhaust manifold which could cause vapor lock in hot weather. I don't think that is is causing your current problem but something to think about. Best of luck to you.

John R 

Looking at the weight on the flap for carb heat on the exhaust manifold , does it not fall forward when hot instead of what your pictures shows it to the rear??

I ask because that system seems to always confuse me and the question is just what I Think (thought), I sort of? understood??   ?

Overheating because of this will cause to fuel to vaporize from a liquid and carbs do not deal with vapors.?

Getting older does tottally suck at times!  ?

DJ

26 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Looking at the weight on the flap for carb heat on the exhaust manifold , does it not fall forward when hot instead of what your pictures shows it to the rear??

You are quite correct ,it should fall forward if working properly - good observation ?

2 hours ago, John Reddie said:

Hello and welcome. Did your Plymouth run well and then suddenly start the shaking? A few ideas. I would do a compression test on each cylinder to compare the readings. You can also remove one spark plug at a time while it is idling to see if any cylinders are dead. Also, check inside the distributor cap for carbon tracking and cracks. I noticed in your video that your fuel line going to the carburetor from the fuel pump  appears to be quite close to the exhaust manifold which could cause vapor lock in hot weather. I don't think that is is causing your current problem but something to think about. Best of luck to you.

John R 

She was running great and I turned a corner and started doing this. I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow.  Thanks for the info for the fuel filter I will move it away from the manifold. Today was a hot day was almost 90 I'll Google what vapor lock symptoms are to see for future reference 

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

I ask because that system seems to always confuse me and the question is just what I Think (thought), I sort of? understood??   ?

Overheating because of this will cause to fuel to vaporize from a liquid and carbs do not deal with vapors.?

Getting older does tottally suck at times!  ?

DJ

I will have to check on the flap I'm not sure to be honest. What would be issues if the flap on the heat exchange was bad? I had already been driving the car for 20 minutes before it started doing this.

Being young sucks at time as well because I've never owned a flathead before I feel like I'm stupid because I can't figure it out like I would on something newer  :)

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/heat_riser_adviser.html/

Read this on the forum in the resources tab above-drop down -heat riser -if this does not work for you.

DJ