Beto0311

Has anyone seen or have used (currently) a motor plate as mount on a high performance fathead 6? 230 dodge. Pictures of  template would be greatly appreciated... i inquire about it because i removed the hydromatic trans on my 51, inatlled the a883OD, motor was bore out. So it sways side to side.  Since it had the hydromatic trans on it,  the current bellhousing doesn't have any support now, the Xmember had to be cut out. So the transmission can fit in.... im leaning towards the motor plate option because it seems "easier"??.... so i figured some one has possibly used it before... thanks in advance to the advice and help.  

"Floating power" i know that.. its not holding all of it.. the motor is swaying side to side with the current motor mount and the new trans Xmember.  The original Xmember mount had to be cut to allow the 883 to sit in place.  So now its just the "floating power" bracket/mount and the rear 883 trans Xmember mount.. causing the engine to sway side to side 

are you saying this install will not allow the use of the original cross member and rear mounts.....if so, why would the kit not address this situation and provide a means to secure the 833 at the rear...I thought the very NOTCH that was incorporated was to cure any mount issues.  as for the fabrication if you suppler for the trans adapter did not make allowances or provide insight you pretty much on your own...I would think you need to make ears to the frame as bolt in units to match the bell.  The single front mount of the engine and the single center 833 mount is going to rock like a boat at the wharf.  I believe most folks doing the tranny upgrade utilize the stock mounts at the bell and forego the rear tranny mount as not needed.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Once again. I had the hydromatic trans on my 51 coronet. Its a longer bellhousing,  pushing the Xmember back a few inches than the tegular standard 3 speed.. which will work. On a regular 3 speed manual coronet the 883 swap would be have easily done. Thats not the case with the hydromatic trans.. 

So what type of bell housing is being used?

Just thinking if you had changed to a bell made for a standard  transmission the cross member shown in your picture could Maybe? had the rivets removed and moved forward and then used with regular Mopar rubber mounts??

DJ

are you confusing the fluid drive for the GM Hydramatic or are you saying the Hydramatic was an earlier modification that you have removed? At this point I am going to assume you no longer are using the very deep bell associated with the fluid drive and thus the cause for non alignment and are using a later standard three speed bell.  You are now at your own devices to create a cross member to suit your modification.  As a gentle reminder now is the time to also THINK phasing as the imaginary line of the engine trans must be parallel to the imaginary line of the pinion….they can be offset...left and right top to bottom and combination of both as long as they STAY parallel.

you will have to move the fluid drive cross member forward by removing original rivets. place forward for alignment to the bell and drill holes for the cross member to attach back to the frame...else, as stated create you own member.....and with a single in the front you definitely have to have two in the rear.....

• Like 1

Its too late for original Xmember mount.. i chopped it off from the middle to allow the 883 to drop into place.. i was thinking of something like this flathead here. Thought somone here might of been through what im going through.  

Screenshot_20180909-111013_Instagram.jpg

it is not that hard to mimic the style that I recall the tri five chebbies having in the front....but of course, back to square one, it is something you will have to devise on your own accord as I do not recall one being built for these flatties....by using similar method with what you have stock...you can replace the front motor mount with a block of metal and eliminate the rubber and then at the bottom you can spread the mount feet of the floating power plate left and right for a wider triangulation and use the common mounts used by most rodders that utilized the mount plate method and then all is left is the single rear trans mount....many ways to skin this cat....shame you cut the cross member instead of remove the rivets....

Me thinks you no longer have any Mopar flat 6 stock type bellhousings,  which are cast iron that have side ears for the type of cushions previously  shown?

Have you every see the stock type?? -Just beginning to wonder what is up here. Some info seems to be missing?? Or is just may memory going!  ?

took me a minute and I could still be wrong.....he deleted the longer fluid drive bell, used standard 3 speed bell...chopped the cross member in pieces instead of removing it from the frame rails and rendering it useless for sliding forward and reattaching to frame for use of stock configuration and stock mounts.  Now needs to address front floating power stand to utilize bottom mounts left and right and by pass the upper mount with block of metal for rigidity.  Now if I am wrong here...a new blurb and few more pictures may be needed....lol

OR  as stated...address the rear mount again with the cut pieces welded back in place and affix as stock...

Im using a 49 Plymouth bellhousing,  not much difference. Than any other mopar housing, yes its still cast iron. I wouldn't call it shame.. the fluid drive Xmember is riveted in under the master cylinder bracket which is welded on the frame. Whole different can of worm i didnt want to deal with.. plus, The bellhousing mounts are NOT even close to the 49 Plymouth bellhousing (3 speed manual). Mounting holes. Yes i have seen the bushin mounts, i replaced them on the fluid drive transmission.... its very tight space to fab out a "metal floor frame". Looking to have the car ready for mooneyes in December.  

I am a little confused also...........I would think that he should get a stock 3 speed bellhousing, use that and won't the trans adapt up to that which then offers as stated the ability to use those stock rubber biscuits that Plymouthys pic shows.........if he hasn't the stock crossmember then I'd find one or a stock style one and modify it to fit.............mounting of an engine is basically triangulation....either one at the front & two at the back(how mopar did it with the sixes) or vice versa which is how most companies did it with their V8's and sixes..........no triangulation means wobbles.............andyd   

Doesnt sound like many of yall have overhauled a fluid drive transmission before. Yall are still thinking regular 3 speed...WHICH IS easier and everything does match up with the adapter plate and the whole nine yards... thats not the case with the fluid drive.  Its all different under the car. Xmembers are in different locations at different offsets. Etc etc

Adapter plate? Never have seen one on a flat 6 Mopar motor.

Well it seems time to just suggest that you make  two flat plates that mount on existing motor to bell housing bolt holes that will come off on each side toward the frame and then add a horizontal ear to each  like a "L",  big enough for a cushion to mount.

Then fab something of steel (1/4" thick" ?) off the frame to also be horizontal and add a rubber bisket  type of motor mount between the two. This type is what is "suggested" by engine to transmission adapter manufacturer Wilcap for flat six Mopar stuff they sell. They Do Not sell such things however- it is up the the mechanic to build what is needed as they see fit.

Note some welding required (best) or long bolts??

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
yes

20 minutes ago, Beto0311 said:

Doesnt sound like many of yall have overhauled a fluid drive transmission before. Yall are still thinking regular 3 speed...WHICH IS easier and everything does match up with the adapter plate and the whole nine yards... thats not the case with the fluid drive.  Its all different under the car. Xmembers are in different locations at different offsets. Etc etc

What is a fluid drie transmission? Fluid drive is a fluid coupling not a transmission. Yes a vehicle equipped with fluid drive has a longer bell housing and the rear engine mounts are not in the same position as a non fluid drive vehicle. Your best bet may be to find a non fluid drive rear cross member and install it along with the original floating power front engine mount. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

What is a fluid drie transmission? Fluid drive is a fluid coupling not a transmission. Yes a vehicle equipped with fluid drive has a longer bell housing and the rear engine mounts are not in the same position as a non fluid drive vehicle. Your best bet may be to find a non fluid drive rear cross member and install it along with the original floating power front engine mount. 

Thank you for the idea.  I didnt think of that... gonna give that idea a shot. Much appreciated boss 

Thanks Don............thats basically what i tried to explain.......a pic IS worth 1000 words............lol..................andyd