Temperature gauge add on

tundrajax

I don't trust the original temp gauge on my 55 Plymouth. I would like to add a 2nd temp gauge. My questions is the only place I can see to add it is a pipe plug that is in front of the water distribution tube.  Will the temperature gauge plug cause any issues by being in front of the water distribution opening?? 

If you don’t trust it why use it?  Maybe check it out on the stovetop?  

Or,  Just plug an aftermarket mechanical (that you’ve tested on the stovetop) into the proper place and use that.   Either way you should be using agauge you trust that is tested.  

just to have a second measurement I have installed a cheap

"-made-in-China thermometer" bij glue-ing the probe on a nicely cleaned freeze plug on top of the head.

It measures fast and accurate and gives me a good indication on the cooling performance. In combination with the stock gauge it works like a charm. It reacts much faster. I can even see everytime the thermostat opens. On a hot day (35°C) while going up and down hills the temperature was never exceeding 78°C. I could predict when the gauge in the dash was going to rise and when I would go down. Cheap and efficiënt dont we all like that...?

Grtz from Belgium

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

"-made-in-China thermometer" bij glue-ing the probe on a nicely cleaned freeze plug on top of the head.

It measures fast and accurate and gives me a good indication on the cooling performance. In combination with the stock gauge it works like a charm. It reacts much faster. I can even see everytime the thermostat opens. On a hot day (35°C) while going up and down hills the temperature was never exceeding 78°C. I could predict when the gauge in the dash was going to rise and when I would go down. Cheap and efficiënt dont we all like that...?

Grtz from Belgium

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

You could also buy on of that hand-held digital heat guns to check the accuracy of your gauge. I bought one from amazon a couple of years ago,and think I paid around 18 bucks for it.

Edited by knuckleharley

16 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You could also buy on of that hand-held digital heat guns to check the accuracy of your gauge. I bought one from amazon a couple of years ago,and think I paid around 18 bucks for it.

I also have one of those but it is a bit hard to check under the bonnet while driving...:-)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

Grtz from Belgium

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

Might have to give this a try. I wonder if using rtv to glue it on the freeze plug will work 

1 hour ago, tundrajax said:

I have one as well and was thinking it would be difficult to check while driving 

Why do you have to check it while driving? Do you never stop when you think the car is running hot?

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Why do you have to check it while driving? Do you never stop when you think the car is running hot?

I've never thought the car is running hot. That is probably why I'm worried about what temperature is and when I've have checked it after driving long distances the temp is in 190ish. I just want the safe guard of knowing the temp so if something does arise I can handle the situation.

Edited by tundrajax
Mispell
  • Like 1