Back up lights

Eneto-55

this is the design used in the mid 40's for Mopars that had factory or dealer installed reversing light....only one was used, mounted left rear...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1946-1948-Plymouth-Back-Up-Light-1947-DeSoto-Convertible-Dodge-Chrysler/312229381719?hash=item48b2524657:g:I7cAAOSwP65biXvj

not stock below....!!!  of course I did a bit modern upgrade to my bz cp...I could care less of stock verse ability to see properly and be a tad less obviously mounted...this is not for everyone and not intended to make it seem as it is the way to go..just my view..AND  a big thank you to our own .....young ed... as he provided these lamps for the project.   

big edit here......I forgot to mention a thank you to Don Coatney for the donation of the blue dot lenses and bezel when he upgraded to LED....the center brake light is a 55 watt halogen bulb...

gallery_19_35_58037.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, Thanks..  So this was mounted on the left side of the deck lid, or was it mounted on the fender?  If on the body, was it above or below the tail light?  (I think I have seen one mounted before, on the body itself, but don't remember for sure, or where it was placed.)  It appears that in the one photo it is below the tail light.

I think I would want to find something that looks period correct, but does not involve drilling holes in the body.  (More like what you have.)

Edited by Eneto-55

I installed nos mopar back up lights on my 52 wagon. The 3 speed trans has a provision for a back up light switch. They have mopar stamped into the chrome ring on each light  and they give excellent lighting when backing up    They usually only installed 1 as an accessory they were installed as the factory instruction instructed

E24264AF-3D31-4E09-8404-8F4AE9E8CC67.jpeg

Edited by JOHN EDGE
Left off info

Ive seen folks use back up lites from old vw beetles which are rectangular, kind of look like the first picture at the top of the page. VW restoration outfits sell repops for about 20 a piece. I plan on using some bullet shaped mini tear drop lamps originally used for motorcycle turn signals. I am thinking the rounded shape is more in keeping with the age/style of the cars, and of mounting off the bottom of the bumper as shown at the first pic on this thread. GM cars of the era used tear drop lights kind of like what I am planning, their trade name was “guide” or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Dartgame said:

Ive seen folks use back up lites from old vw beetles which are rectangular, kind of look like the first picture at the top of the page. VW restoration outfits sell repops for about 20 a piece. I plan on using some bullet shaped mini tear drop lamps originally used for motorcycle turn signals. I am thinking the rounded shape is more in keeping with the age/style of the cars, and of mounting off the bottom of the bumper as shown at the first pic on this thread. GM cars of the era used tear drop lights kind of like what I am planning, their trade name was “guide” or something like that.

yes..these are genuine Hella glass lens units as found on German cars.......and yes Guide lamps similar to the ones Coatney pictured are available....you can find these still available on E-bay using the Peterson name as they were a repopper of these....

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2018 at 9:17 PM, JOHN EDGE said:

I installed nos mopar back up lights on my 52 wagon. The 3 speed trans has a provision for a back up light switch. They have mopar stamped into the chrome ring on each light  and they give excellent lighting when backing up    They usually only installed 1 as an accessory they were installed as the factory instruction instructed

E24264AF-3D31-4E09-8404-8F4AE9E8CC67.jpeg

hello,

could you post a copy of the instructions here please. I have the dealer and of factory  bu light , 

I would like to see How they recommend running wiring. Do they run it under The body or through the cabin?

thank you

On 9/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes..these are genuine Hella glass lens units as found on German cars.......and yes Guide lamps similar to the ones Coatney pictured are available....you can find these still available on E-bay using the Peterson name as they were a repopper of these....

I found these at the petersen site, looks similar

https://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=2&fId=8&pId=1467