48 Chrysler Fuel Sender

48Windsor

I'm not that experienced with trouble shooting electrical stuff. I have a two wire sender on the tank. I have continuity between the center post and the flange, side post and about everywhere on the sender. Seems like the center post should be isolated. Just need to know if that's  correct or if a new fuel sender is next step. Gauge shows empty. Have power to the power wire at the sender for the center post.  I read some trouble shooting info somewhere on here but can't find it again. 

I see Tanks Inc. have a sender for early mopars for $35. 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full. Anyone used one of these.??

It would be nice to look at the fuel gauge instead of watching mileage. 

Thanks 

TB

first off you need to know that the two wire is a 30 ohm resistor...the gauge is supplied with the power, has a built in voltage regulator and that the needle is pulled toward full and empty at the same time all the time power is applied as divided by the wiper across the resistor in the tank.    The sender you mention above is NOT going to work for you at all...

You should really have the book for your car as the gauge and its operation is covered quite well, the Plymouth book does for sure.  There are also trouble shooting procedures clearly outlined and easy to follow.  It has been my finding that the majority of failures in the sender is the very wiper to body contact point which is a dimple in the housing followed by faulty sender to tank to body ground path.  Left dry and sitting for years as most these cars often are subjected to, the contact surface of the housing gets oxidized and eventually crusty rusty.  These units can also be separated and cleaned if not real rusty.  Else, you can attach a very pliable wire similar to that found on the distributor plate or wicking wire if you have access to an electronics supply house as this upgrade will provide a uninterruptable ground for the wiper as this is the very point the system is grounding both leads to the tank...again, A & B must go to ground at the same time as divided across the 30 ohm resistor.  If 20 ohm on one side then 10 is on the other..