1952 Dodge Coupe hot rod

Gregarious13

10 hours ago, 46DodgeDeluxe said:

Very intrigued to see how you will be modifying the column shifter to work the automatic. Doing a 5.9 magnum swap in my '46 D24 Sedan. Was contemplating trying to find an automatic column with indicator that I could fit my steering wheel on.

I'm using the column as is and will adapt the Jeep shift selector detents to the column and use a cable or linkage to connect the transmission.  (I will use the stock Jeep shift cable if I can)

The stock Dodge column shift has both the up and down movement and the forward and backward movement, same as an automatic column. I just need to reassign those movements to new jobs. 

I don't think I'll be using a gear indicator on the column, but if that was necessary, a pointer on the shift lever and a plate with the gears stamped in it will be fine for me. 

I'll snap some pictures of the stock Jeep shift selector and the column shift arm and lever tonight. 

For my project, the idea is to make it look like nothing has been changed from the stock appearance. 

Greg

Here are the gear selector pictures. First two show the clearance of the intake and exhaust around the column. Second set of pictures are of the Jeep selector detent. The detent will find it's way onto the end of the column, somehow. The forward and backward movement of the shift rod on the column will operate the detent lock, just like the button on the Jeep floor shifter. Easier said than done, but still straight forward.

Greg

IMG_20190131_175250.jpg

IMG_20190131_175303.jpg

IMG_20190131_175345.jpg

IMG_20190131_175627.jpg

• Like 1

Today I worked on the transmission cross member. First thing I did was remove about an inch from the thickness of the cross member. I cut the middle out, relieved the ends so I could fold them down. I then welded a 1/16" plate to the bottom to finish it off. All will be fully welded it's just stitched for now. Last part was to drill the access holes for the rubber mount bolts. 

Greg

IMG_20190203_120903.jpg

IMG_20190203_143046.jpg

IMG_20190203_144656.jpg

IMG_20190203_152544.jpg

IMG_20190203_155553.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13

The frame mounts for the cross member were next. I used 4X4X1/4" tube that I cut in half on the diagonal to make to L brackets. Then I added side gussets. Drilled two holes to wend through to the frame and two holes with nuts welded to the back for the transmission cross member to bolt to. Welded to the inside of the frame rails, all bolted together. I still have some more welding to do on the frame brackets and cross member, that's for Tuesday night. I may weld in two more nuts into the frame on either side for four bolts per side.

These are all flux core welds, I ran out of shielding gas Friday night. I like the way it ran, pretty clean for not using it in a while. 

Greg

IMG_20190203_113504.jpg

IMG_20190203_133059.jpg

IMG_20190203_133915.jpg

IMG_20190203_152536.jpg

IMG_20190203_160337.jpg

IMG_20190203_172700.jpg

IMG_20190203_172712.jpg

Looks good!  I've never been good at flux welding. In fact, judging from your pics I'm not as proficient as you at any sort of welding.  So you're welding nuts on the frame to bolt in the transmission crossmember? I would likely have taken the hard way out and welded tubing through the frame so I could use Grade 8 bolts and nuts. Then again, I worry a lot.. ?

7 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Looks good!  I've never been good at flux welding. In fact, judging from your pics I'm not as proficient as you at any sort of welding.  So you're welding nuts on the frame to bolt in the transmission crossmember? I would likely have taken the hard way out and welded tubing through the frame so I could use Grade 8 bolts and nuts. Then again, I worry a lot.. ?

The flux core is much like stick welding, at least when it come to the puddle.

The nuts are welded to the back sides of the frame brackets, just to keep from needing two wrenches to install the cross member. The load is still on the steel bracket. I may install two more nuts into the frame itself, as added insurance. Bolts and nuts are grade 8 3/8 -24

Greg

4 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

The flux core is much like stick welding, at least when it come to the puddle.

The nuts are welded to the back sides of the frame brackets, just to keep from needing two wrenches to install the cross member. The load is still on the steel bracket. I may install two more nuts into the frame itself, as added insurance. Bolts and nuts are grade 8 3/8 -24

Greg

Like I said, I worry a lot. I'm sure it'll work fine. I don't think there's really that much stress on that bracket. I use a MIG welder for sheetmetal but still like stick for penetration on heavier stuff. I have a BIL who learned to weld in the Navy and he gets to do stuff I'm not comfortable with or needs to look perfect. I think he could weld stainless with a D-cell battery and paper clips. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Looking Good!

Glad to see that you extended the engine mount across the top of the frame.  While you're in the vicinity you might also move the shock mount.

Thanks! I will indeed be moving the shock mounts over to the frame. I am also planning to use the Jeep Cherokee shocks on the car, front and rear. The mount will be a little different than stock Dodge. Obviously I will be getting new shocks, not using the old Jeep ones.

Greg

Edited by Gregarious13

• 2 weeks later...

So...

My wife and I just bought a house in Downtown San Jose CA. Very spur of the moment. Saw the house on a Tuesday, made an offer Wednesday that got accepted Thursday. This means there will be a little hold on the Dodge project while we get everything squared away and moved in. 

Stay posted, the car will not be forgotten.

To be continued...

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Gregarious13

• 2 months later...

We're mostly all settled in the house and I am starting to move the shop to our garage. Not enough room to park the Dodge in there bit that will change I the long term future. For now it will be under a canopy. 

I also will be starting a new job next Monday the 20th at the Hot Rod Service Company. So lots of life changes recently. 

I'll keep updating.

Hopefully I'll have the shop moved by June.

Greg

IMG_20190511_115321.jpg

IMG_20190330_124118.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Wayfarer, that means a lot! We saved for years to get enough for the down payment. And buying a house in silicon valley is not easy. But now we are in! The previous owner saw a value increase of $500,000 in the 5 years they owned it. Let's see what happens when Google moves in down the street!

We plan to be here for a very long time.

Thanks,

Greg

Welcome to the rat race or the Bay Area, glad you got in.  Taxes are tough here in CA.  I live a little north of you in San Bruno but I work in Santa Clara so I'm in the general area 3-5 days per week.  Maybe we'll bump into each other at a local show?

BTW there is a MOPAR only show coming up in Cupertino at De Anza College June 9th.

Adam

• Like 1

We got in at $710,000. 800sf single family home on 5,000sf lot. Not huge, just right for two people with no kids.

4 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

These houses generally start at 1,000,000 or thereabouts, 10-12% increase YOY is the norm....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Welcome to the rat race or the Bay Area, glad you got in.  Taxes are tough here in CA.  I live a little north of you in San Bruno but I work in Santa Clara so I'm in the general area 3-5 days per week.  Maybe we'll bump into each other at a local show?

BTW there is a MOPAR only show coming up in Cupertino at De Anza College June 9th.

Adam

Nice! 

I will try to it out! 

22 minutes ago, Gregarious13 said:

We got in at $710,000. 800sf single family home on 5,000sf lot. Not huge, just right for two people with no kids.

YIKES!!  We bought our home a few years ago for $109,000. 1310 sq. ft., 1.5 story, 3BR, 1.5 BA, on 6900 sq. ft. lot. Your property prices out there are crazy compared to what I'm used to around here. Looks like we'd have to add another '0' to the price out there.

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Haha 1