1949 B1 1.5 ton brake question

Danielandersen2

Is there a source for front disc conversions on this ol’ truck, I saw the stuff for the 1/2 through 1 tin trucks, but was unsure if there was anything for the larger ones...

This old gal gets delivered to me in a little under a week, and I’d really prefer disc brakes at least on the front. Especially with how hard it is to find replacement drums for this.

A01BE082-34F7-446B-95EA-CA25299E165F.jpeg

Congrats on the new ride. Looks clean and straight. Do you know the front drums are bad?

sorry I don't know about disc  brake conversion for these trucks but, from experience on mine I can say, With the brake booster and the cylinders rebuilt, new lines and shoes...... he stops on a "quarter"  ?

When you dive into it, start a thread in the "truck forum"..... I don't think as many guys check or look at this forum (" technical archive") or have a moderator move this one for you. (If you want)

Theres 1.5ton ? of smarter guys out there....

hate to see you get stuck with just me, LOL

• Thanks 1

i don't know of a disc conversion, but i can assure you that the brakes in the 1.5 ton trucks work very well.  i've hauled some 4-ton loads in mine, over some steep roads; braking was never an issue.  the cylinders can all be rebuilt.  the drums are harder to source/replace.

the triple overriders are a nice feature on yours.

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned the 1-1/2 ton through 2-3/4 ton DT hydraulic brake trucks have more than ample stopping abilities... especially with the frame mounted booster.

Disc brakes on your truck would be a mistake IMO.

I drove my 1950 B2 JA 170 2-1/2 tonner for years hauling very heavy loads and never worried about brake stopping or brake fade in any traffic..

• Like 1