1950 Canadian Built DF-1

schwy

12 hours ago, schwy said:

I am wondering how to get the nut off with the horn still attached? 

gotta pull the horn button and wiring then the nut then use a wheel puller to pop it off.  There are special ones for steering wheels, or you can make one out of wood and a ready rod like I did.  pull some pressur eon it and a sharp rap with a mallet on the pressure bolt (ready rod in my case) and "POP" off it comes.

Before you pull the horn wire out of the steering shaft, attach a string to it. Once you have the wire out, and the string in its place, attach the string to the top if the tube with some sort of stick-um that will hold the string but can be removed without too much difficulty later. You'll be glad you have that string to fish the wire back down the tube.

Loosen the nut, but don't remove it fully. Back it off until it's pretty much flush with the end of the shaft. This will help support the tube, and protect the threads, when pressing against it to remove the wheel. Once the wheel pops loose you can then remove the nut and the wheel.

That's a great idea for fishing the wire back through. Going to get at it this weekend. I've seen some pictures on here after I got some search results. So see what I can jerryrig

13 hours ago, schwy said:

That's a great idea for fishing the wire back through. Going to get at it this weekend. I've seen some pictures on here after I got some search results. So see what I can jerryrig

I just jigged mine back down the tube when I replaced it originally.

I am woodworker. They are resawn 1/8" solid black walnut. Trees came from my property. They were felled a couple years ago. Nice old growth with very little sap wood. The visors are 1/4" with a 3/4" back for the brass to press fit into. So they can swivel left and right and up and down. Stay in any position.  I ordered some patterns from Reg and plan on doing the rest of the panels out of the walnut. Wilm look real nice once its sanded and clear coated.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, schwy said:

It is running two carbs with a spitfire head.

The grille and doors you think were added later then with the different years? The vin says it was built in Windsor 1950. I am glad I found this site, there seems to be alot of info and alot of people willing to share their knowledge.

20180805_104134-1008x756.jpg

That intake and exhaust headers look completely custom. Are they touching each other at all (for heat)?

Not the redundant vacuum line going to both throttle bodies too....I wonder why that was done.

I don't see a fuel filter, must be down below.

17 hours ago, schwy said:

I am woodworker. They are resawn 1/8" solid black walnut. Trees came from my property. They were felled a couple years ago. Nice old growth with very little sap wood. The visors are 1/4" with a 3/4" back for the brass to press fit into. So they can swivel left and right and up and down. Stay in any position.  I ordered some patterns from Reg and plan on doing the rest of the panels out of the walnut. Wilm look real nice once its sanded and clear coated.

all my black walnut furniture (I use BW extensively in my own home) get 16 coats of tongue oil hand  rubbed with sands in between.  Brings out the golds in the wood.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nice!! If I had running boards like that I’d probably be like Mark and wouldn’t let anyone step on them... ?

hey now....

• 3 months later...