46 dodge 3 window coupe

Black betty
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

20 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

It sounds to me that the clutch may be at fault not the fluid drive. Also for your information you do not need to use first gear every time you start. The fluid drive allows you to start in any gear without using the clutch. I can drive all over town and never use first gear unless I am going from a dead stop up a steep hill. 

I do not know anything about a fluid drive repair kit as you mentioned but fluid drive units are pretty much bullet proof and rarely need servicing. 

Yes sir that makes sense

the kit is on eBay to rebuild the clutch

tx

c

4 hours ago, John Reddie said:

Just out of curiosity, when was this car tuned up last, new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, points and condenser, timing set to specifications? Busycoupe asks an important question:

You said that you have had this car 20 years, did it run well in the past, or has it had this problem as long as you have owned it?

Whatever the case, I hope you get it straightened out. It looks like a great car.

John R

She runs well just not so fast and just sounds busy

sounds like a lot of RPM at 45 or 50 mph

i did a recient tune up including a carb rebuild by others

never checked the timing

Just now, Black betty said:

She runs well just not so fast and just sounds busy

sounds like a lot of RPM at 45 or 50 mph

i did a recient tune up including a carb rebuild by others

never checked the timing

I like the restomod idea but she is nice and original

resto-mods are not for the faint at heart and those that have difficulty with time to put to the task.  A variety of specialty tools, skills in mechanics, sheetmetal fabrication, welding etc  You will need shop space and alternate laydown area as required along with many many taking of measurements and placing your entire project on paper first and ensuring this is what you want and not stray midstream and change you plan as backing up to go forward had been the death blow to many projects.  Am not in any manner trying to talk you out of the resto-mod, just trying to get anyone considering such a task to be realistic in their approach.  

• Like 1

Before you buy a kit to fix something you should probably figure out why the car does not shift Into first gear. It may be something very simple like a clutch adjustment.  ... Can you shift into reverse with the engine running?  First and reverse are not synchronized and will not allow you to shift into them if the clutch is dragging.    Did you check the clutch pedal free play? ... When you do get the car driving, does the clutch slip?  Does the engine race when you try to accelerate but the car does not respond?  If the engine races without affecting the motion of the car then the clutch could be damaged, or the fluid drive could be low on fluid.  .. if the rear engine mounts have collapsed as suggested in an earlier post, it is possible to adjust the shift linkages so that you will be able to drive the car.  If and when you replace the damaged motor mounts you readjust the linkages to accommodate the new position of the engine/transmission.

As for speed, I have a 48 Dodge 3 window coupe with fluid drive, very much like yours;  it has no problem running at 55 mph and occasionally faster.  Will yours go faster than 40 mph or are you just reluctant to try? 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Maybe the Clutch is not dis-engaging because of gummy /faulty pilot bushings (2) in Fluid drive coupling or clutch disc is stuck to pressure plate or flywheel.

All this causing the owner not being able to put car into gear once engine is running but able to with it shut off?

Yes can shift into all when not running and when running except when starting I have to put her in first with the clutch pedal pushed

she jerks a bit but then starts

maybe it is just a minor or gummy something

• Solution

Can you quietly shift into reverse without grinding when it's running?

15 hours ago, Black betty said:

Yes can shift into all when not running and when running except when starting I have to put her in first with the clutch pedal pushed

she jerks a bit but then starts

maybe it is just a minor or gummy something

The red note sounds definitely like a clutch issue.  Most likely just needs adjustment.  How much free play do you have on the clutch pedal?    Take alook at that section of your repair manual first. 

The perfect solution IMO, would be an overdrive added to the current trans.  Anybody ever tried that?  As I recall the transmissions are the same except for the main drive gear.  Could one mix and match parts to put the FD main drive gear in an OD trans?