Windscreen center bar & sun visor

Wiggo

OK, so I am a cheapskate and I'm making my own visor, but I do have a question about mounting the things, generally...

I had the front and back screen rubbers replaced a little while ago, and the new front rubbers just had a thick rubber molding in the center. The old one seems to have some kind of metal insert (not the chrome trim, but internally), as there is an interior trim strip screwed to the rubber.

Does anyone know where in the rubber molding this is? I'd like to be able to screw a visor bracket to it, but I'm wary of putting a screw in and shattering the windscreen. By the same token, I'm a little unsure of a clamp-on solution, as I don't want to risk that compressing the rubber too much and allowing the bracket to touch the glass. Does anyone have any decent images that show the Fulton hardware and how that mounted, for example?

Wiggo.........in the early 70's I had the windscreen rubber on my Oz 1940 Dodge replaced and the original centre bar which was made of diecast broke into pieces so I being a bright eyed and bushy tailed 19yr old got a piece of 1/2" x 1" brass bar and cut it longitudinally with a hacksaw then cleaned it up witha file, then soldered a piece of brass 1/4" x3/8"th that I had drilled and tapped to accept small bolts from the inside molding to the rear of the 1/2 x 1" piece......see pic .............had it chromed and its been a source of pride since........see pics.................now for your Fulton Visor..........I installed a 1000 series Fulton visor on the 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had...........the original centre bracket was a flimsy 2 pieces of strap about 1/2" wide and after reading of problems some guys on here had had with visors doing the backflip dance I made up a pair of stainless steel brackets that clamped either side of the centre bar and were held together with short lengths of allthread rod with chromed acorn nuts either side......this centre bracket was much stronger than the original pieces......see pics..........I have never seen a front windscreen rubber here in Oz that didn't have a diecast or steel centre bar however I have seen visors that used a pressed steel clamping bracket that attached to the centre of the visor and then went back to the front centre of the roof and held the visor that way in the centre............dunno if any of this helps..............andyd     

Wscreen 4.jpg

Wscreen 5.jpg

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

There should be inside and outside trim pieces that sandwich that part of the weather strip.  I can't say whether or not there is a metal piece in the weather strip itself, I've never been that far into the windshield.  Mounting screws go in from the inside - through the inner trim piece, and screw into the outer piece.  Andydodge's photos show this quite well.  That center mount on the outside sunvisors clamp onto that outside center trim piece.  The Fulton Sun Shade on our D24 has two mounts, vs. the one shown above, but the point is that they clamp onto that trip piece. 

Just found a not-so-good photo of ours, center clamps are (duh) in the shade - but better than nothing.

DSC_0303.jpg.40dcbf60e67a28a12642f9afc8570e6e.jpg

Edited by Dan Hiebert
Adding photo

Wiggo..........Dan mentioned the inner trim piece and screws which are shown in my 2nd pic......this piece on my car is not the original which was a rusty stamped steel piece that had 3 or 4 countersunk head 3/16th screws into the original diecast piece...........when I made the new outer molding I also used a piece of half round 1/2" wide aluminium strap for the inside.........I cut it to the right length, cut some notches in it to allow it to fit where the inside garnish molding went and then drilled a couple of countersunk holes to allow the screws to go thru inbetween the windscreen glass and into the new chromed centre bar.......and because its alloy it polishes up real nice and looks shiney.........lol............and shiney is good..........lol.........also note that my Fulton Visor used a different and in my view a "cleaner" design for the outer visor brackets and as these were also made of aluminium I polished these also..........remember what I said about shiney?................lol................and as I mentioned my original centre mounts were very similar to what Dan has, its just that I thought they maybe a little weak so came up with the stainless brackets, but that triangular undercoated piece between the visor and the stainless pieces  is original to the visor.......and finally paint the underside of your visor a flat colour, ideally similar to the interior roof lining as I found it blended in well when you are looking out and driving along....you can just see the roof colour in this pic of the 41 Plymouth Coupe.................Andy Douglas

IMG_1356.JPG

Do yourself a favor and find that outside strip. On my '48 I replaced the windshield and gasket last year and that outside strip is what the interior screws attached to. The center rubber was just rubber and it was the original glass and seal as far as I could tell. The windshield had an inspection sticker from 1973 when the car was a mere 25 years old.

Thanks again, guys. I just took a look and as you can see there doesn't ever seem to have been an exterior trim strip. The rubber seems to have a metal strip inside it, and you can see the edges are all sorts of thicknesses where it feels like the metal has blistered and rusted slightly...

screen.jpg